Safety Order

Started by AMC, March 20, 2019, 04:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMC

I am considering applying for a safety order from my mother, who harasses me and turns up at my work unannounced.

Does anyone have any experience of this in UK/Ireland system?

I am told it won't actually stop her turning up, but will alert the police and keep a record of her efforts to engage me in some sort of dramatic interaction against my wishes.

I have obviously blocked her on all platforms and asked her repeatedly before the block, but this doesn't seem to work as she still calls my friends, as well as turning up at my work twice now (telling family that she 'doesn't know what she has done, and she wants to see if I will ignore her or recognise her presence')

When there was limited communication, she told me that she has waited outside my place of work, just to catch a glimpse of me. This information was delivered to me to showcase her 'plight' and pain, rather than being completely out of order and against my wishes.

She is mentally unstable, but no medical intervention team will provide support unless she threatens her own life. The GP said she can't really do anything, so by the time I went NC, I had no other option.

Now, I don't know what she will do next.

Any advice?

Starboard Song

In the United States, I would discourage it.

Anecdotes have convinced me that the machinery of the state is even less likely to understand our experience than our friends who aren't familiar with PDs. Whether it is divorce court, custody disputes, or grandparent visitation rights, I don't want to drag the government in by the ears. Once they are in a dispute, you can't get them out.

The other cautionary tale I've heard is that you get a court order or whatever, or just lawyer up, and the other party retaliates with allegations of violence, child neglect, substance abuse -- anything to get the balance of outrage leaning back against you.

These may be distinctly American concerns, but I don't there is a government out there well-equipped to deal with the challenges of PD antagonists.

Good strength to you.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward