NC is self respect

Started by Maisey, March 23, 2019, 02:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maisey

NC was too long in coming. It should have been implemented years ago and I am trying to not kick myself in the rear daily because of that. I know that will pass in time.

A huge  block was stating it to the youngest (almost adult) children. For all the time I spent worrying on how to do it, the statement was spontaneous . A surprise to myself that it came out of my mouth then as much as it was to my  children. Took a deep breath and thought "F- It" . I am getting this over with.

So it was out of the closet , so to speak, as a way of life. I was respecting myself.

M.

Starboard Song

I have been there I understand how serious those deliberations are. And I know how much strength it takes to tell a child that you are making such a tough hard decision. Congratulations on having the strength it took. We who have been there no you did not take it lightly.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Maisey

thanks, it is a hard decision.

I am sometimes thinking I would like to get the last word in. And roll that around in my head for awhile. I think that is myself giving way to fantasy, if I am sincere to myself on the NC.

I have had several contacts in recent years where I could have had the last word and didn't. I can pick up the phone anytime I want. If confronted today I would say my peace for sure, but I don't want to place myself in that position because I'd rather NC.

M.

all4peace

It is hard to talk about these things! We've had to have some painful conversations with our kids also about their grandparents' behavior and how it didn't work for our family. As much dread as I had, our kids were very blase about it all. It simply didn't impact them nearly as strongly as it did us. I'm glad you've come to a place of peace!

Maisey

They don't understand the fear I have for them be abused. And it will happen if the ILs have ANY opportunity. The only reason they aren't being mind bendingly twisted up in the present is because they have been sheltered for several years.

The game is still going on, I doubt it will end as long as MIL is living near us. Thank fully not as near as yours are. I maybe NC but she is still in our lives. She will still contact H occasionally and  that will keep H edgy.  As old as she is, it is not unreasonable that she may need some support at some time.

M.