Done lurking, also escaping!

Started by ferret_friend, March 29, 2019, 12:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferret_friend

Hello, first things first thank you to this wonderful forum for providing somewhere to be understood and supported.

I'm in my mid-twenties and am just now taking the steps I need to get out from under my family - my mother has an UPD. She parentified me before I was even a teenager and has depended on me for everything. I've been her caretaker, therapist, and wallet. I've finally realized enough is enough, I want my own life. I love her greatly and will always appreciate the good she did for me, but I can't stand the thought of my life passing me by any longer. I don't want to resent her. I've been secretly moving my stuff out of the house we've been staying in (a very long story) and in May I'll be moving out of state to live with my partner. It's scary but exciting. I've been looking at this forum to keep reminding myself I'm not a cruel person for taking care of myself, and finally decided to stop lurking and join.

So yeah, hello!

coyote

Hello and welcome ferret friend,
So glad you finally took the leap of faith and joined. You are certainly not a bad person for taking care of yourself. Your story is a common one here and you will find a lot of support. You will find the toolbox very informative. I'm sorry you need us but glad you found us.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed and you haven't been. -Marcus Aurelius