Hello Everyone...if you can relate I hope you respond

Started by zzblue, April 02, 2019, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzblue

Hi all, Im zee and I grew up with an abusive parent suffering from a personality disorder. I knew relatively early on that the relationship me and my siblings had with my father was bad. He was always angry and never happy. It was around 7 the time that my grandmother passed when my father started to show his true colors. Im amazed I was able to see him for exactly who he was at such a young age. I've been fighting back against him ever since. It was even harder watching him torment my mother. When she got sick, the power dynamic changed and he has been raising hell ever since. Id tried speaking out many times but none of my family believed us. I was just a bratty child who didnt want to follow the rules. I could go on and  on but Im glad to be trying to resolve my trauma now as a young adult and Im glad ive found a community where I can connect with people who might know what Ive been feeling all these years.

notrightinthehead

Welcome! You will find this forum both, informative and supportive. As a start, read around the PERSONALITY DISORDERS and TOOLBOX tabs. See you around on the boards.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

coyote

Zee welcome to Out of the FOG. Your story is a common one here but that said it is totally unique to you and your experiences. You will find a lot of understanding and support here. The camaraderie as we all progress on a healing journey is incredible. If you have not already I'd suggest you go through the Toolbox. It has invaluable information on how to deal with PDs in our lives. I'm sorry you need us but glad you found us.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed and you haven't been. -Marcus Aurelius

Starboard Song

Adding my welcome.

In our case, it took us far too long to acknowledge that we were using survival tactics to deflect abusive and inappropriate behavior. We all adopt these survival tactics as predictably as so many disordered individuals adopt common tactics.

I'm glad you found us: the toolbox, the resources, and this community of understanding friends.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward