The Erratics - winner of the Stella Prize in Australian Literature 2019

• 3 Replies

sandpiper

I heard the news yesterday that this book has just won the coveted Stella Award for an outstanding piece of writing by an Australian Woman.
If you're the child of a PD mother and an enabler father, this book will resonate with you.
Vicki Laveau-Harvie has walked through the fire and this is such a beautiful and powerful piece of writing.
I bought it for my e-reader yesterday and I could not put it down.

I read a few reviews grumbling that she didn't give enough backstory & FWIW I didn't care. It was just so good to listen to someone who gets it. Who understands the lies, the smear campaigns, the attempts to turn every social contact you have against you. And just how incredibly hard it is to try to do the right thing for parents who have been abusive, neglectful, dismissive and malicious.
I give this 5/5 stars & a Bear Hug to the author - because it was so good to see one of our stories in print and to have those air-punching moments of 'Yes!' with things that people would not get unless they have a PD relative.
So good to see this book getting the accolades it deserves.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-09/stella-prize-winner-vicki-laveau-harvie-wins-for-the-erratics/10985238

coyote

• Global Moderator
Thanks for sharing sandpiper.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
 Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed and you haven’t been. -Marcus Aurelius

moglow

• Administrator
  • >^..^<
I like the sound of this one! Thank you - will add it to my list (personal and here).
“Nothing exposes our true self more than how we treat each other in the home.”  ~ Joseph B. Wirthlin

Stop Stinkin' Thinkin'!

sandpiper

I'm so glad I found it. xxx