Walking; An Easy Way To Cope With Anxiety Caused By NC

Started by Artemis T, April 12, 2019, 12:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis T

Yesterday I posted that I was having a very rough time functioning, I was missing my emotionally abusive ex and it was causing me a lot of anxiety.  While at work I began researching all these anxiety coping strategies and meditation exercises etc., until I finally had the idea to just walk home from work. I usually commute, but I decided to walk and clear my head.  It's about a 45 min walk, and I had my headphones in the whole time. It was cathartic, and simple, and effective. Sometimes I can forget the KISS concept applies.

By the time I got home the tightness in my chest lessened, my jaw was less clenched and I wasn't thinking about my ex, or what he was doing or if I was the only one in pain. My legs were a little sore but I felt physically stronger, maybe the endorphins from physical activity were helpful.
Either way I plan to incorporate walking into a weekly routine. I have a bike trail near my house that I used to visit more frequently. Walking lets me silence the chaos in my mind and zone out for lack of a better phrase.
So I guess for anyone looking for free and simple ways to combat anxiety, give walking a try.

11JB68

practical

Happy it helped you! I go for walks when I get tense, or need to figure something out. Somehow the physical activity combined with seeing trees, hearing birds really helps me.
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Associate of Daniel

Me too.

My thoughts might be ajumble while I'm walking but the fresh air, trees, birds, absence of people are all very refreshing.

I should do more...

AOD

Sojourner17

I love walking as well, even if it's just a couple of times around the block. I need to do it more often!
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

all4peace

I'm so glad it worked for you! Walking is an absolute necessity in my life also.

Boat Babe

Walking is great. It's low impact but you can burn loads of calories if you power walk.  You get sunshine and vitamin D. The rythmic nature of walking is soothing. Your body starts to produce endorphins, mmmmmmm.  And it's free. It's even better with a dog. No dog? Walk one for a less able friend or neighbor.  Win win.
It gets better. It has to.

1footouttadefog

There is a meetup group in a nearby city that walks goes hiking with shelter / rescue dogs.

newlife33

Just laying in the park as well on a nice day and being around people and hearing the sounds and smelling the smells, it's wonderful

openskyblue

Getting outside and getting my heart rate up -- swimming, brisk walk -- is the best medicine I know!

Jadedjanet

Good for you. Walking is so healthy, a great alternative to so many dysfunctional ways of dealing with anxiety. Walking is my bestie.

Spring Butterfly

That's awesome and so glad for you! You mention meditation and I wonder if you've heard of intentional and walking meditations?
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

SomethingElse

Quote from: Spring Butterfly on May 12, 2019, 05:37:36 AM
That's awesome and so glad for you! You mention meditation and I wonder if you've heard of intentional and walking meditations?
This is a great thread. I've used walking and running now for over a year to deal with the "stuff".  I would love to hear more about intentional or walking meditations please?

Spring Butterfly

Quote from: SomethingElse on May 16, 2019, 01:46:43 AM
Quote from: Spring Butterfly on May 12, 2019, 05:37:36 AM
This is a great thread. I've used walking and running now for over a year to deal with the "stuff".  I would love to hear more about intentional or walking meditations please?
it's something I found so very soothing when walking through the woods or especially barefoot in the yard since that combines with "earthing".

https://jackkornfield.com/walking-meditation-2/

https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-meditate-thich-nhat-hanh-on-walking-meditation/

On earthing
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing