a big piece of the puzzle just came my way.

Started by 1footouttadefog, April 18, 2019, 09:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1footouttadefog

I have some land that is empty a pasture, with little long strip to a creek attached.

I have thought about what to do with that small acreage strip with a creek.  I have imagined a sort of tiny home/cabin/shed where I go to get away and garden a couple days a week.  My pdh is declining mentally and I don't see myself just divorcing him and leaving him alone etc.  But some separation will be needed once kids are up and out.  He is too invasive and intrusive ony time and headspace I will need some time away to maintain healthy living.

This started to seem impossible because some rather large expenses keep coming along. Roof repairs, chimney work, cars needing tires, college expenses. etc etc.

I sort of gave up somewhat and leased the land to an organic farmer.  In my mind I left the strip for myself, and told him in the future I might need it.  It seems I can now get a well and electric installed for the cattle business with a cost share program because the government does not want the cows to use the creek. They will cost share the fence to keep the cattle away from creek also. I will be able to use that water and electricity for other uses as long as the cattle can access it for ten years.   

Me thinks I will have more than enough organic fertilizer close at hand for amending the soil.  💩

(Nobody tell my kids I just used a poop imogie unironically)

My long term plan may have just came back to a Medium term goal.  I think I can get a shed building by next year and start finishing it up.  I have a brand new just right tiller and plan to get the gardens dug and ready this fall and winter for next year.  I sold my too big not right for me tiller to another organic farmer last year and replaced it this year.

coyote

I can so relate 1foot,
We have a small 10 acre spot with a tiny home. The home actually started out as a shed. Gardening is so rewarding and a mindful activity. Just watering it is a meditative activity. Watching things sprout and bloom, picking vegetables, canning, everything to do with it is just wondrous. I sop hope this works out for you. Keep us updated please.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed and you haven't been. -Marcus Aurelius

1footouttadefog

So more progress.  My building will be there in a week.  I will have two power meters one for tiny home and greenhouse (future)  etc.  Another one will be up where a home might go later or more tiny homes.  The well will be connected to it.  Then the well will be connected to cattle water station and to tiny home/office with a couple Frost proof hydrants along the way for irrigation. 

When I get the .gov money reimbursement I will put in a septic system for tiny home.  By time my youngest graduates I will be in business as an organic farmer. 

I had dreamed of such on this place where I live but it's working else where and I think for the best.  I do better when I get up and go to work instead of working at home. 

Whatthehey

I am so happy for you!  You have mentioned this before and it sounds so peaceful.   :bighug:

1footouttadefog

A couple years further down the road, I have another phase III n mind.  I will bring in or buold a larger building and set it up as a large commercial type inspected kitchen that can be used to incubate small businesses that don't have their own kitchen.  People who want to make sauces, Jams, extracts, herbal tintures etc.  I might run this as a non prof.   I could have weekends where people attend seminars etc.

This would be my way of furthering the local organic foods movement.

For now I have an office, a restroom  and a place to sleep over after work if needed.