OT: Selling a hoarded house

Started by Fiasco, April 23, 2019, 01:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiasco

My "good enough" dad has passed away. He divorced my BPDm decades ago so she's (thankfully) not part of this mess. He lived in a rural area and I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to his house after his passing. Boxes floor to ceiling, stashes of food and supplies and alcohol and unidentifiable chemicals and liquids, and a major rodent infestation.

Any advice? My siblings and I are agreed on getting the house emptied and sold to the first flipper who wants it, but I don't know where to start. Thanks in advance, I know some members of this group have experience.

WomanInterrupted

I'm sorry you were left with such a mess, Fiasco!

I'd call "Got Junk?" and let your father's estate pay the $607 per truck (in 2016, and that included tax) to haul the stuff away.   8-)

The POA can cut checks *as agent* - if the POA isn't on file with your father's bank, that will have to be done first with a copy of the POA and a copy of the death certificate.

"Got Junk?" will take anything - and I do mean *anything* except toxic chemicals.  Those you'll  have to dispose of at your local hazardous waste facility, and any fee you have to pay comes from your father's estate.

But before I did that, I'd go through all the places your father might have hidden cash - you know him best, so you'd know where those places are and remember *cash doesn't exist if you don't tell anybody about it.*  :ninja:

:hug:

Fiasco

I remembered your use of Got Junk! I did have them come and remove one truck load, just so I could see how I liked them and get a feel for how much can fit in one truck. My experience was good so I think we'll use them again, for the big clean out.

How was the house once you got it emptied? Was it livable and able to be sold to someone to move into? I don't think this house is safe for someone to live in, both structurally and germ wise.

Andeza

I used to work in a facility that "got junk" would use to scrap any metal they picked up. They do a good enough job for sure. You could also have the local waste company deliver a rolloff (a big one!) to your house, make sure you get a quote, but each rolloff is capable of hauling out waaaay more cubic yards than the little got junk trucks. You can scrap anything metal and get a little money from it, money that would go right back into the estate. Might be enough to pay for the trash removal, or at least make it hurt a little less. (metal recyclers will not take pressurized aerosol cans like spray paint, etc)

And furniture in good shape? Maybe have an estate sale for the big, nice items if there are any?

If he stashed clothing items that are still in good shape, maybe take some of that to goodwill? Or the charity of you and your sibling's choice.

Once the house is emptied it will be easier to deal with the rodents. Most will probably leave when their food source is gone. Please wear a respirator when you clean stuff up, hantavirus is a legit thing and it is not fun! :no: Transmitted by dust around rodent droppings, by inhaling the dust, or touching your face. Local pest control can come in and set traps and place poison. But I wouldn't do that until it's cleaned up a bit, no one likes not being able to find the dang, dead mouse stinking everything up.  :blink:

Most importantly, take breaks, get air, don't get buried (literally or figuratively) by the cascade of junk. And maybe get a tetanus booster... :unsure:

ETA: My Dh does handyman work. Until you've got the house emptied, it won't be immediately clear what sort of structural condition it's in. But at that time you could bring out a home inspector to give you an idea of just how bad it is.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

WomanInterrupted

I think that's a great idea - but you might want to mention the rodents.  I don't think it will stop them - "Bob" - the guy who runs our local "Got Junk?" - franchise was telling me a story about a female hoarder who had a mattress infested with *rats* that she didn't want to part with, because in her mind, it could still be used!   :stars: :aaauuugh:

I think they're quite used to that sort of thing, and will probably bring masks or respirators, plus gloves - and probably shovels, if it's as bad as it sounds!  :blink:

It doesn't sound like much is salvageable, due to rodents - it's all considered contaminated, and off to the dump  (or whatever facilities "Got Junk?" uses) it should go.  :yes:

Also, if you're like me, you're not going to be able to just stand there and point, while a bunch of big guys do the work.  I pitched in, which they found to be QUITE something, but in a good way.  (I think they're used to hostility and resistance from hoarders or the elderly, or both!)

There really ain't no party like a "Got Junk?" party!    :party:

When you call your franchise, they'll send the manager out for a number of trucks estimate - "Bob" quoted me five trucks, but it took six, so he ate the cost of that sixth truck, since his bad.  :)

And remember - your dad's estate pays for this.  It's the normal cost of selling a house if the owner isn't there to empty the place, or can't do it, because there's too much shit!

The house was livable after Merry Maids got through, but it did smell like pee and old man, both of which were taken care of by repeated use of Fizzion (carbon dioxide cat  pee neutralizer), Febreeze and airing the place out on warm days, which were few and far between that April!   :P

The house was what they call "time capsule" houses on the reno shows, meaning it hadn't been updated since it was built in 1957.  The only thing that got remodeled was the dinky bathroom, in 1980 (they just changed the color scheme and put in ceramic tile), but the rest of the house was pretty much the way it came in 1957, except for the back extension (dollhouse room) added in 1982ish. 

That's now the living room of the house, and the living room is now the dining room, which is what everybody in the neighborhood did, since they all have the same basic Cape Cod house.

They *did* keep the place up - it had a new roof, several years before Didi popped off, and was sided (including the garage), around the same time.

After "Got Junk?" was done, we painted all the rooms white (Deep Purple Disaster master bedroom, Red Menace Wall in the living room, Ron's old aquamarine office upstairs, and my old yellow bedroom, also upstairs) - and let the realtor list it, as-is.

The place was move-in ready (and I even left a snow blower, a grill, a generator, and the appliances, as enticements because I knew the place was a dated dump), but wound up going to a flipper after the buyer backed out after her home inspection.  No reason was given, but I suspect it was too much house for one person, and updating it would have cost a fortune.

Once they empty the house, that's the best time for your dad's estate to pay for an exterminator, and a home inspector - then you'll know what's going on.   :yes:

Even if it does need structural repair (oh, those rodents can do a number on the electrical system!  They LOVE eating the insulation on wires!), a realtor might still be willing to list it - and if you think a flipper is going to be interested, *act fast* because the offers just keep getting lower as time drags on! 

However, if the home inspector says, "Um...Fiasco, I think this place needs to be condemned and torn down..." - that's where I draw a complete blank, and think a real estate attorney might be your best bet - and yes, your father's estate pays for that, too.   :yes:

If your dad's estate doesn't have enough money for all this stuff and you wind up paying out-of-pocket, *keep receipts for everything* and make SURE the POA  will reimburse you, and not just string you along.

If you're the POA - that won't be a problem.  But if the POA has been shady in the past, *that* person can front the money and reimburse him or herself after.

Above all - DO NOT FREAK.  Do NOT stress yourself out!  The house will still be there.  Eventually, everything gets done, and like all things dehoarding, it seems like nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing - oh my God, it's SOLD and it's OVER!?!?   :yahoo:

Yeah!  It seemed to go like that for me, every step of the way.   :doh:

If you need any advice, PLEASE post, and if I can help in any way, I will.   8-)

Dukkha

We had two hoard houses to deal with after FIL passed.  One condo, which we were obligated to restore and sell, and a house in the suburbs in which he died and was not found for several weeks.  It was so traumatic and filthy.
We hired a guy who specialized in clearing out hoards and he did both places.  We abandoned all the possessions to avoid having to sift through it ourselves beyond the week we spent trying to find paperwork that would lead us to his will so we could get power of attorney for the trustee.  That week was hell....will spare you the details.  We had to play detective for a couple of years to find all the accounts and do all the tasks and get rid of the properties.  All while dealing with a crazed PD brother.
So one small company to clear the hoards, one real estate guy who specialized in distressed properties to sell the house, and a contractor to renovate the condo. 
The fees were paid by us but we were able to get reimbursed by the estate once the lawyers were on board.

Fiasco

Wow, so much great advice. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can feel my blood pressure lower just a little 😂

Having the steps laid out in order is just what I needed to stop mentally spinning myself into a frenzy. We have a real estate attorney already because there's another property to be dealt with and it's pretty complicated.

I'm incredibly grateful that my sibling is taking on POA and executorship and we agree on literally everything. Despite our differences Sibling is absolutely trustworthy.

Thank you again and if anyone has any more tips and tricks let me know. ❤️

Spring Butterfly

There's also remediation and restoration businesses that handle jobs like infestations, molds, floods, etc that have proper protective equipment to deal with such issues the estate can pay to come in to clean out or else fix once it's empty.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

NotFooled

OCPDMIL is in the process of selling her home it had rodents, bed bugs and termites along with all her and PDBIL's junk.  They got an exterminator to take care of the rodent/pest issue, then used dumpsters and family members to clean out the house.  I have not seen the results in person but it looked like from the pics on zillow that the house is still filled with crap. It's been on the market for a couple of months with no real offers. 

I would use the junk removers to remove the stuff then get an exterminator in to take care of the rodents.  DH and I told OCPDMIL to hire junk removers but she's too cheap and now it looks like her home is going to be on the market for awhile.

Fiasco

Sibling is meeting with a liquidator in five days. I'm so nervous I could scream. This liquidator does everything from estate sales (lol not this estate probably) to shoveling out the last of the trash. AND this liquidator has a special interest and passion for the exact class of items my dad collected, so can actually understand what these items are worth and connect them with other collectible buyers. Please, please let this guy work out. Say a prayer for us, or light a candle, bake a cookie, do a dance. It will be such a huge blessing if this guy works out. We could be free of the house in months!

WomanInterrupted

Fingers and toes crossed - I'm typing this with my nose.   :bigwink:

I really hope this works out for you!   8-)

Fiasco

Fiasco

I wanted to update you all, both because of all the kind replies I got and because maybe my experience could help someone else.

The liquidator we met with back in May was enthusiastic and knowledgeable so we hired him. My brother, myself, and our dads house are in three different states so having someone else deal with the overwhelming mess inside the house and on the large property was ideal. I figured we'd end up paying for liquidation and cleaning but the estate sales actually generated enough cash that they'll probably cover the cost of the cleaning crew for ten days and the giant dumpsters. We could actually break even. I'm still amazed by this!

We just got the first pictures of the house emptied yesterday and I slept better than I have in months. It's sad to see the house where we played as kids empty, but it's nothing compared to the crushing grief of seeing it absolutely filled with trash. I can't really describe the weight that has been lifted off me.

SerenityCat

Thank you for your update! So good to hear that everything worked out fine and that you are at last able to get some real sleep.  :hug:

looloo

What a wonderful update!  So happy for you!
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."  Oscar Wilde.

"My actions are my true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand."  Thich Nhat Hanh

StayWithMe

I'd scavenge for that cash.  My grandmother warne my mother about it and my mother several thousand dollars.  Maybe more, it was 20 years ago.

WomanInterrupted

That's a fantastic update!   8-)

You trusted your gut, and found a reliable person to offload the majority of the responsibility to, and now the house is clear.  Soon it will be ready to be *sold* - and become somebody else's problem!

With unNPD Ray's place, getting it empty was a milestone, but the actual  sale and closing were the true *triumphs* - I was DONE.  I'd *survived.*  It was *over.*  :yahoo:

I think you'll probably  feel the same way.  :yes:

A word about flippers, if you're still leaning that way:  act FAST, because the offers tend to get lower and lower - often in a very short amount of time.

I went with the first flipper who offered a cashier's check of $68,500.  (We'd listed the place for $74,900.)  Not long after, another flipper offered  $65,000.  A few days later, another flipper offered $47,000.

I figured if I hadn't jumped on the first flipper's offer, by the following week, I'd probably have been paying people to take the house off my hands!  :blink:

You're almost there - keep putting one foot in front of the other, and always keep your eyes on the prize!  :)