Spending money on yourself

Started by Cascade, May 15, 2019, 12:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

I've been contemplating buying myself a new tablet since mine is really old and slow. I have some money saved up for it in my own bank account and yet I have been hesitating. If I buy it, I may not tell my husband. I don't think he'd be angry but I know he would either say something or do something to take away from the fun of having a new tablet. So what would you do? Buy the tablet and tell your spouse or buy the tablet and not tell him or simply not buy one at all? And why is it so dang hard for me to spend that amount of money on myself?

not broken

If I were asking myself this question, I would say it is because everything I did was contingent on how he responded and the anticipated reaction from him.  I would also tell myself that I  questioned whether or not I deserved it because he hasn't told me his opinion yet. 

I think you should enjoy that tablet, it is your choice and you do deserve it.

Cascade

Thanks not broken, and I think you hit the nail on the head with your reply.

capybara

Notbroken, you're so right! I've been wanting to visit a friend for a weekend and I can't decide whether to just spend the money or to use "my" money that I've saved from birthday gifts. But BPDH buys himself stuff all the time and I'm pretty sure he would tell me to spend the money. It's just that I'm the one who tracks everything and then he gets stressed out when the money is gone... and I dread that.