I think I'm a recovering gaslighter

Started by athene1399, May 23, 2019, 07:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

athene1399

My Out of the FOG journey has been incredible. Even before coming here, I realized that I was acting like a crazy person and needed to change a lot of behaviors. That was about 7 years ago. I started monitoring my thoughts and analyzing if they are too influenced by emotion. I either feel no emotion or too much. There's really no middle ground. I've also started realizing I have a lot of BPDish thoughts.

At any rate, I just realized a few weeks ago that I gaslight people over the dumbest thing. For example, a song will come on the radio and I'll say "I hate this song. It is so stupid." then my SO will note that yesterday, I said I loved the same song. Since I don't remember saying that, I would get mad and tell him I never said that. But now that I think about it, I'm like holy crap. Am I a gaslighter? I started feeling really guilty about it, but came up with a plan. Now I mentally acknowledge my emotions, the feeling of anger because I can't recall saying something and then frustration and they self-hatred. Then I respond with "I was in a different mood yesterday so liked that song then, but hate it now." My SO accepts this as a reasonable answer, and I immediately feel better about it.

It's just over something so stupid I can't believe it. I just initially felt terrible because I've been gaslighted and it really sucks. You feel crazy. So I feel terrible that I've done it to people in the past. But at least I know now to pause and think instead of just reacting. I just wanted to share what helps me in case anyone else thinks they may have been doing this. I just can't believe how unconscious it was. It wasn't like I wanted to make the other person feel dumb or crazy. It was me reacting to feeling dumb or crazy myself. I guess this is just another step on my journey. I'm really glad I can get this off my chest.

SmartyCat

Me too, in a way that has sometimes puzzled me later: "he/she meant well".

Someone will say or do something appalling, and my past reflex was to dismiss it quickly with "oh, I'm sure they didn't mean it in a bad way".

A few months ago my mother told me a story about when she was a new mother, and my dad's aunt came to visit and see my brand new baby brother, the firstborn. Elderly great-aunt (whom I never met, but sounds like an insufferable old bat) kept going on about how my dad had been a much better-looking baby than my brother was, which as you can imagine hadn't gone over well with my mom. Anyway, Mom wrapped up her story with "she meant well, of course".  :stars:

So, any time I'm tempted to say "he/she meant well", I take a quick mental inventory before actually saying the words. Do people with good intentions generally behave this way? Or am I excusing bad behavior and gaslighting because I've been well-trained to do so?

Boundary Bouncer

I appreciate your post.  I think the response, "oh, I'm sure she or she meant well," is also "meant well," but in any case it is avoidance of feelings.

If I am the one tempted to say "I'm sure he or she meant well,"  it means I don't want to feel my own emotions in relation to whatever topic the original speaker brought up. 

If someone says it to me when I have shared my angst or confusion about an interaction with someone else, I simply feel dismissed, not heard, even judged for sharing my frustration. 

I hadn't thought of this as gas-lighting earlier, but I do now.  It's meant to cause us to doubt the validity of our own emotional experience.

athene1399

That is a great point. The "he/she meant well" is almost like us excusing the bad behavior and invalidating someone else's feelings if he/she was hurt by what was said. I do also have a tendency to make excuses for others, like "maybe they were having a bad day." In reality, having a bad day doesn't give you a free pass to be mean to others. Smarty Cat, I really like your suggestion of the mental check to see if we're excusing bad behavior because we've been trained to.