I spoke up for myself at work

Started by Spirit in the sky, May 29, 2019, 10:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit in the sky

I am starting to find the courage to speak for myself in all areas of my like now. As a recovering people pleaser and victim of narcissist abuse it hasn't been easy for me. In fact it be virtually impossible as I have suffered from anxiety for years and even thinking about displeasing someone was upsetting for me.

I'm doing a lot of research into co-dependancy and healing from narcissist abuse within my family, but I also realised my boss has narcissistic tendencies and her behaviour towards me was toxic. If I had spoken out in the past she made a point of punishing me in an underhand way.

Today I found the courage to speak up for myself when she trying to bully me into doing something. When I said the timing didn't suit because I was looking after my mum who is just out of hospital, she got defensive and said I needed to take it up with my area manager. The old me would have backed down, but today I ok, I would ask my area manager because all she could do was say yes or no.

My boss very quickly changed her tune and contacted the area herself, and I was told I could make other arrangements when my mum was better. 

Thru the Rain

Good for you!

Speaking up at work has been hard at times for me too. And then the awful anxiety that has built up for me when I know I need to speak up and put my needs out there. Terrifying!

Feral Child

Congratulations!  It sounds like you handled yourself with grace and style!  :applause:

looloo

:banana: :woohoo:
Good job!  I know it isn't easy but you're doing it!
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."  Oscar Wilde.

"My actions are my true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand."  Thich Nhat Hanh