Joel Osteen sermons covering codependency and people pleasing etc.

Started by Laurie, June 02, 2019, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

I sometimes listen to Joel Osteen on Serius radio in the morning.  I notice he sometimes sounds a lot like my therapist, and talks about boundary setting, people pleasing, codependency issues and negative people etc.  Here is an example:

Joel Osteen — Take Control of Your Happiness
https://sermons.love/joel-osteen/3362-joel-osteen-take-control-of-your-happiness.html

Here are a few excerpts:
"I want to talk to you today about taking control of your happiness. Some people are sacrificing their own happiness to try to keep everyone around them happy...If they don't meet all these demands: rescue this person, keep this person fixed, solve this person's problem. Then they'll fall out of somebody's good grace. Somebody won't understand. But God did not call you to keep everyone happy. It's good to be loving, kind, generous. But you are not responsible for other people's happiness, you are responsible to keep yourself happy."

and

"And one day, I realized what I'm telling you. I cannot go where God is taking me with her in my life. I love her. I pray for her. But I cannot fulfill my destiny with that weight and drag being put on me every month. And I made a change. It wasn't easy because you never like to hurt somebody's feelings. But I knew my assignment was too important, my destiny was too great, to allow someone to continually pull me down.

You too may have to make a change in where you do business, in where you work out, in whose phone calls you take. Don't let that negativity go into you day after day. You need to be around other thrusters, other lifters, people that motivate, people that inspire. That's why so many people are drawn to our ministry. There are enough weights, enough drags. I'm going to push you forward if you get around me. I'm going to do my best to encourage you, to challenge you, to inspire you, hopefully leave you better than you were before. "

This was a nice reminder for me as I tend to be upset if I can't make everyone happy, and get dragged down when others are in bad moods.
"If you can cut yourself – your mind – free of what other people do and say...and what the whirling chaos sweeps in from outside...then you can spend the time you have left in tranquility. And in kindness. And at peace with the spirit within you. " ~ Marcus Aurelius

Mary

It's easy to feel guilty if someone else is not happy. But I like the point that it's not our job to make someone happy.
Mary
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)