Some ways to survive inlaw drama

Started by Leonor, June 26, 2019, 06:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonor

I just thought I'd share some things I've found that make inlaw visits a little less stressful.

You know how people suggest taking a scientific approach to visits, as if you're an anthropologist studying another culture? Go for it. Bring a pad and pencil and take notes during the family dinner. Say "Hmm" out loud when they say weird stuff to each other. Wear an old British safari hat to the table. Turn towards an imaginary camera and drscribe what they're doing in a loud whisper.

Give everyone helium balloons and ask them to inhale. Then listen to them have the same circular argument they've had for the past 20 years, but in squeaky voices.

When someone says something in a self-pitying tone, put on an old fashioned birthday hat, with the pom pom on the top, and blow a kazoo loudly in their direction. Or hang a disco ball over your head and do the Hustle. Then announce that, surprise, it's pity party time!

When someone says something crazy to you, burst out laughing. Then put on a straight face and ask, "Oh, you were being serious?"

Set the latest family drama to a Broadway musical. Pick something upbeat, like "Oklahoma!" to cheer everyone up.

:)

all4peace

Snorting out loud at the image of wearing a safari hat and documenting the action in a loud whisper :D Wouldn't that be fun?!? Humor is so important for coping. Thanks for sharing. :)

bloomie

Leonor - those are great suggestions! I always have loved disco balls!
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

Cat of the Canals

Oh man, it is going to take a LOT of willpower to not don full safari gear next time my MIL is coming for a visit.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

OddSunflower

I needed this so badly today! Thanks for the laugh! Although I am totally NC with my in-laws now, I will imagine them sucking balloons while I pretend to quietly document their nonsense!
Thank you a million times!

LadyAmalthea

Hilarious! Thanks for imparting a good dose of humor--definitely needed this today 😄