Npd parent

Started by Whitesheep45, June 29, 2019, 02:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesheep45

Hi I've long thought my f sits in a narc framework. I understand this on a surface level but would like to read more on it to understand how people operate in their relationships, do the feel anything for anyone..? Also around having a npd parent what it's like for the adult children . Research papers are. An interest too..

All. Help appreciated

Penny Lane

A couple books I found really interesting were:
The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists
Will I Ever Be Good Enough?: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers (This is obviously not geared toward narcissistic dads but it might help you too).

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Whitesheep45

Thank you penny Lane.. Thing is I don't know if he is npd... He doesn't show all the traits (I don't think)... He is highly selfish and lacks empathy ++sometimes I think he may be on the spectrum or just the way he is but not fit a box... Not sure
All I know is his father skills are so minimal...

Whiteheron

I second the 'will I ever be good enough' book Penny recommends - at the time I was trying to figure out my FOO, but stbx fit the description/behaviors much better than my mom. A book that really helped open my eyes was "Invisible Chains" by Lisa Fontes. I was able to see the patterns in stbx's FOO and in stbx himself.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

11JB68

:yeahthat:
Invisible Chains is a wonderful book!

blacksheep7

The first book I read which finally answered many of my questions regarding my Pd Parents. 
Toxic Parents by Susan Forward. :like:

I also read 'Will I ever be good enough'  :like:

I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

"When people show you who they are, believe them."
Maya Angelou

Psuedonym

I'll thrown in some Youtube resources that have helped me a lot: Richard Grannon - this is a great video to start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcWvJmWIlo0, Les Carter: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIELB1mz8wMKIhB6DCmTBlw/videos and Abdul Saad: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_P8aFACl-VqJl0flQPGMQQ/videos

If you really like clinical stuff you might want to start with Abdul. Hope that helps!

Wilderhearts

The Narcissistic Family is a book for clinicians that I have on order and was recommended by others on this site.  Still great if you're not a clinician and more evidence-based than some other books - it may appeal to you since you're interested in research articles.

I also recommend Jerry Wise's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZWHfOsTVegeEFEXV56llWA
He uses the same framework as Brene Brown for relationship systems, if that means anything to you.

He focuses a lot on Narcissistic families, and the issues we have as adults after being raised by narcissists (strongly recommend video "6 Core Issues of Adult Children of Narcissists" - it opened my eyes.)

I also read "Stop Walking on Eggshells" decades ago, and it's what opened my mother's eyes and my eyes to the reality that my father had a PD, and used explosive abuse and rage to control us.  Note, this book is about BPD rather than NPD, but both being Cluster B disorders they have a lot of traits in common.  The e-book pdf is available here: https://epdf.pub/stop-walking-on-eggshells-taking-your-life-back-when-someone-you-care-about-has-.html

And welcome to Out of the FOG  :)  I've found so much support here, and I hope you do too.

sunshine702

Triangulation. I get gossiped to about how awful my Scapegoat brother is and also about how Wonderful my Golden Child Brother and his Narc supply Grandchild H is.

No matter how well anyone is doing or not doing this is the paradigm .   I will never forget my Narc mom bragging to me about the beautiful house GC was RENTING right while I was BUYING a house.  It will never be good enough.

Sadly the cycle continues.  The Grand children are now being triangulated. H is still wonderful and she calles baby L "challenged" a lot.  I luckily don't have kids and am Very Low Contact with them. 

Look for who's in and out and you will spot a narc and supply.

Whitesheep45

Thank you everyone some really good sources here... I appreciate it..
Feeling really angry and fed up today. Wish I could cry but I can't because anti dep block me.
It's not all bad though I feel my ic is walking around having a tantrum and that is OK. She wants to be loved...
And me adult me I hate that I keep going back to that groove of being such a good parent to my parent... I'm lc and speak rarely but yep I've just stumbled on the last phone call when.... Guess what it was all about f...
I just do not know how to communicate with him... He isn't interested in me... Doesn't comment /answer.
If I don't comment answer he says 'are u there in a slightly impatient voice... Oh he says u didn't say anything...
So the only way to have connection with him is to be attentive... Then I come off the phone and feel so annoyed with myself that I slipped...
I'm wondering why I don't let go of him... Why I still feel love for this man...

I don't want to be in this role anymore and am helpless...
I'm going to an acoa meeting tomor