Am I a bad Mom

Started by Adria, April 15, 2019, 04:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke

Quote from: momnthefog on April 16, 2019, 06:25:53 AM
I started filtering calls.  I didn't necessarily answer just because my phone rang.  I let it go to vm.  If she didn't leave a vm, I didn't return the call. 

I started ending calls when they went over my predetermined time limit.....not when she ran out of steam (as that could take 45+ mins). 

And I came up with some scripted answers like "I know you will be able to solve this on your own."  or  "What about calling your counselor about this?"  or  "I don't feel like I have the experience/insight to advise on that matter."

Excellent advice. My daughter is long distance thank god so she involves her other set of parents more than us. I know that sounds awful to say.

Adria, I like the advice about getting a 2nd phone.

Brooke

Quote from: Brooke on July 23, 2019, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: momnthefog on April 16, 2019, 06:25:53 AM
I started filtering calls.  I didn't necessarily answer just because my phone rang.  I let it go to vm.  If she didn't leave a vm, I didn't return the call. 

I started ending calls when they went over my predetermined time limit.....not when she ran out of steam (as that could take 45+ mins). 

And I came up with some scripted answers like "I know you will be able to solve this on your own."  or  "What about calling your counselor about this?"  or  "I don't feel like I have the experience/insight to advise on that matter."

Excellent advice. My daughter is long distance thank god so she involves her other set of parents more than us. I know that sounds awful to say.

Adria, I like the advice about getting a 2nd phone.

Ugh, I keep calling my niece my daughter b/c she's like a stepchild to me. She's on my husband's side of the family but we function as a 2nd set of parents.

Anyway, these posts are so helpful. Thank you to everyone who shares.