So uncomfortable and awkward

Started by Sojourner17, July 18, 2019, 01:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojourner17

So we are fairly new to our community and I've been getting to know some of the moms.  One of the moms had her third baby four months ago. Up until then we had met each other at a kids play group and had even had a few plays at each other's houses.  There were barriers as the moms English is good but sometimes a bit of a struggle to understand, and there were a few other barriers but nothing much. We just weren't really clicking. I like her but her husband has been somewhat rude in mannerisms.  Something was just off... ie troubles clicking/ still awkward getting to know them.

They had their baby a few months back and found out baby has disability.  It came as a shock. I came over to see them  shortly after they had baby. I'm super happy about baby but can see it's going to be tough.

They have lots going on. Other than a few texts a month or so back we haven't had much communication.

I saw her today at the store and again at another place.  I was going to have a short chat but it didn't work to and was super awkward. 
I'm struggling with thoughts that I did something wrong/ should have done more/offered more support or friendship as initially I had intended to but I just wanted to give space as they had lots going on/family in etc.

I'm struggling with feeling like an aweful person.  It's a pretty aweful feeling.
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

notrightinthehead

Just remember, how people behave is more about them than you. So maybe  your friend is still in shock, does not know yet how to deal with the new situation, wonders what you think about her now...
I find it easiest to tap into my own feelings, how do I feel about myself and  this other person, and then behave accordingly.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Sojourner17

Thanks notright,  when I think about myself and the other person I think things like "I really don't have the ability to be a support to her". I'm okay with just being an acquaintance but I feel awkward bc I don't want her thinking it's bc of baby.... because it's not. We just don't click and I feel uncomfortable and unsure of myself.

I just struggle with being insecure in the idea that she may think I'm flaky and be hurt by my lack of contact. Perhaps I can text her when we are out playing at a park and see if she can join and clear the air. 

It's triggering bc that's my moms mo... sojourner you aren't calling/ we are hurting and your not supportive  :sadno:
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery