New here. 38 Years with a Borderline.

Started by EclecticMike, July 10, 2019, 05:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EclecticMike

Hi. I've been with my Borderline wife for 38 years. Only found out about BPD 2 years ago and it was an epiphany finding that I was not in an alternate universe that no one else could have possibly experienced. For decades, I was convinced that I was the problem but the more I worked on myself, the worse she got. I also have a son, now diagnosed with BPD, who was misdiagnosed Bipolar for 2 decades which was a rollercoaster disaster. He only got his diagnosis because I advocated for him and forced his therapist to evaluate him.

I'm glad to be here. I'm trying to figure out where you go in an impossible situation, when you have gone way past the point of no return. In my youth I had health, wealth, boundless energy, optimism and hope. Now I have none of those things but my therapist is having me work on self-care and autonomy. He helped bring me out of the mindset of just running out the clock and forward towards looking for some kind of future in the few years I have left.

bloomie

Hi and a warm welcome to you. You will find support, resources, strategies, and fellow travelers and I have found that having this kind of support, where I see such similar circumstances to my own to be so healing and helpful. I trust you will find that to be true as well.

Make good use of the resources at the drop down menus above, read through the threads, settle in and when you are ready join the conversations taking place on the boards. I am so sorry for all that you have been through and for the loss of yourself in the midst of another's disorder. Sounds like you are taking good steps to reclaiming you by starting with self care and an in real life therapist.

See ya out there on the boards!

The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

GentleSoul

Welcome Mike, I am glad you have a therapist who is helping you.