Asking a question 3x

Started by Writingthepain, July 30, 2019, 09:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Writingthepain

My NPD mom has all her life had this peculiar quirk. She will ask a question three times in a row eg.
Mom, did you go to the bank?
Me, yes
Mom, you went to the bank?
Me, I  did
Mom, you went to the bank and paid the cheque in?
Me, YES MOM! I paid it in!
Mom, alright!alright! You don't have to get stroppy with me! I was only asking! You don't have to snap at me do you?!! Huh? Huh! You can say nicely "yes mom I went to the bank and paid the cheque in thank you for asking me mom I know you're just looking out for me"
Me, I did tell you three times
Mom, no you didn't
Me, I did
Mom, well I didn't hear you...

What is this triple repetition about?

Psuedonym

Oh yeah. Mine would do it more than 3 times and get nasty if you pointed out they repetition. I once read a post from someone with BPD saying they would ask the same question over and over if they a) didn't believe the answer, b) didn't like the answer, or c) wanted reassurance about the answer. Consciously they were doing this...they did not forget.

Once I actually said 'why did you just ask me the same question 3 times in a row?' and the response I got was 'Well, I was just trying to make conversation!!'

:stars:

Andeza

Sounds like egging you on, honestly. I'd answer the first time and ignore all further inquiries. Or broken record "I already answered you once."
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.