What soothes you when you're jagged and raw?

Started by moglow, August 06, 2019, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moglow

I've had a challenging string of days. Today was a long and frustrating workday that ended with a dead battery in my sweet Mini. Thankfully mechanic's shop is within a block of my office, it was just the battery and he had the right one in stock [note for the uninitiated like myself, special batteries and labor to get it out/program the new one ain't cheap].

Anyhoo, I wanted a light dinner and a very hot bath when I got home. I had a new bottle of rosehip oil begging for a trial run. Bliss!! The oil soothed my overdry skin and was great for massaging my feet, the scent sloughed off the scratchy edges of my soul. And music - recent discovery: Yiruma, Korean musician who plays glorious soothing piano. And of course, my purring lovelies are also nearby.

I'm returning to human. Any other ideas you'd like to share?
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Andeza

Everything rose and lavender is your friend. Lavender helps take the brain down a notch, slows all the crazy waves a bit, lets you sleep... Which I don't know about you but when I'm stressed sleep is the first thing that suffers. Ylang Ylang and sweet orange essential oils, just a drop or so of each, on a paper towel under the pillow are good too. Unless you have white sheets, then nix the oils. :unsure:

I love rosehip oil, so beautiful in every way. Great for postpartum stretch marks too. :yes:

Chai tea. Warm, comforting, notes of cinnamon are particularly comforting. That coffee chain that you can find on every corner? They make a great iced chai latte.

Go get a massage, from a professional.

Get your hair/nails done. Whichever is more relaxing. Even if you just go in for a shampoo and a little trim on the ends.

Watch your favorite movie or TV show.

Finally, hug a cat, or several. I have four.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

athene1399

I like writing fiction. I put all the nasty bits of myself I don't want to admit to into my characters. It makes them more interesting and I find it cathartic. I feel better after.

I also like playing music and singing. Singing makes me feel so much better, except my reflux has been bad so my voice has been tiring easy so I've been trying to find something else to do so my voice can heal.

My sleep suffers when I am stressed. SO got me a noise machine and that works well. Listening to the rain noises helps keep my mind focuses so I can fall asleep. 

Reading books are nice too. Sometimes I read in the bath if it's not too hot out (so usually only in the winter). I also make my own bath bombs. In the summer I sometimes read in the hammock, but if it's too hot I don't last long outside.

Cuddling with my fur babies is nice too. Or brushing them. My one fur baby loves to be brushed. It makes me happy to see him so happy.

I like walking with SO too. We both find it relaxing.

Whiteheron

Honestly, Netflix or reading. I don't have a lot of time to watch tv, so it's nice to be able to put on a show and get lost in another world for a bit.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

all4peace

Deep breathing, epsom salt bath, good music, good book, fire (in winter), snuggling with someone I love (DD or DH), having a good cry, hiking/running/biking in nature alone. Hope you're feeling a bit better!

hhaw

Yes, all4peace...

deep breathing.   They body can't be in crisis mode if we're breathing deeply. 

Sometimes I breath in for 5 seconds through my nose, then out for 10 seconds through my mouth.

Sometimes it's 4 in, hold for 4, and 4 out... maybe 3 times to engage the parasympathetic nervous system, calm the alarm bells of my lower brain, and engage my higher brain again.   We all think more clearly when we engage our frontal cortex.

If I practice breathing, and become aware of my breath/inner world/feelings in my body, and where they are, what they feel like, etc... I rewire my brain for more peace, and calm.... I stop the pattern of the sympathetic nervous system/alarm bell/fight or flight default setting I'm not really aware of....
until I pay attention.

Our brains are capable of neuroplasticity.  We can cultivate today, what we want more of tomorrow.  It takes 20 - 60 days to practice our way into a new habit.  That's encouraging to know: )

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

notrightinthehead

For me there is nothing like exercise. I need to work that anxiety and nervous energy out. First choice is a long walk in the woods and last choice is cleaning windows or similar.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Drawing_boundaries

I like to exercise. This can be vigorous or calming depending on how my body is behaving (reacting?) at the time. I find yoga very helpful to improve my self of self worth. I like Yoga With Ariene (you can find her on YouTube) she has a calmness and self love that makes me just feel better about myself. Also walking in nature - the less humans the better for me. The sound of wildlife brings my spirit up.