New Study - Stress in pregnancy more likely to produce PD child

Started by Hazy111, September 06, 2019, 09:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazy111

Saw this interesting study from Finland . PD starts in the womb. Thought it might be of interest. 

Another study against the "genes tyranny" of PD and mental illness. Again, its the earliest years that count in personality. Our environment. Its nuture not nature.

Unless of course theres a stress in pregnancy gene thats yet to be discovered :stars:.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49593620

LemonLime

So interesting, thanks for posting.   Off the top of my head, I remember reading about the "epigenome" in the past 15 years.     From what I remember, the idea is that there are genes that can be modified by stress.  And then passed on to future generations.
For example, it's possible that if the non-PD pregnant female is stressed, certain genes in the fetus are altered (perhaps from maternal stress hormones), and produce a personality disorder in the offspring.  Because the offspring now have that modified gene, they are capable of passing that trait on to THEIR children, if the child happens to inherit that particular gene.   And so it goes.     I'm not saying this has been proven for PDs.....just that the "epigenome" is sort of a hot topic in the past 15 years or so.   
I'm going to look up more info on that today, just for kicks.     It may be both nature and nurture, in that respect.

Call Me Cordelia

As a chronically stressed pregnant woman with generations of PD on both sides of this child's DNA... yeah great. I know, ask for support, take care of myself, rest, blah blah blah. All stuff I know and am trying to do anyway. And yeah I am well aware "the system" isn't doing nearly enough. I know most of the responsibility here is mine. But let's just throw out the specter of my kid ending up like the rest of the fam if I can't manage my symptoms and circumstances well enough to stress me further.  :roll:

I hope this study has some usefulness in raising awareness, but today this doesn't feel all that helpful.

LemonLime

Cordelia, your child won't end up like the rest of your family.  You are taking steps to manage your stress, likely in a way your family did not.    And you will be an enlightened mother, not in the FOG, and not PD.  It's a different game for you and your child.  Clearly there is a huge nurture factor involved, and you've nailed good nurturing.    :)
I'm sorry if I contributed to stress for you.   I wasn't thinking about the fact that there are pregnant people on this forum .
:bighug: