3 year NC anniversary with FOO

Started by Mintstripes, September 08, 2019, 09:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mintstripes

I finally went NC 3 years ago. Since, they've sent flying monkeys and tried to sneak into an old inbox with emotionally manipulative emails. Never an apology ofc (not that it would a difference at this point) and always somehow about them. Thankfully, they live out of state, faraway and don't have my address. 

My LO isn't quite old enough to ask about my FOO, it hasn't yet.

But I can feel it coming soon. I'd appreciate any tips on dealing with questions from preschool age kids. My LO does not know her grandparents at all and will not meet them.

Deb2

Hi Mintstripes,

It may never come up. Two of my nieces have children who have never met their dBPDgrandmother. They have never asked. They did meet her a year ago at the youngest siblings wedding. They were ages 8 to 17 (5 children between the 2 nieces) and had no interest whatsoever.  It's possible that your LO will not ask either. 

Kiki81

It's been my experience that children take those cues from their parents. If they see mom and dad getting really emotional and overwrought, they will too. If mom and dad waiver and wobble regarding the NC, expect lots of questions about that.

Cut and dried, matter of fact. Easiest for small kids to be around. They don't deserve to get dragged in As anyone's confidant about NC. As they get older and ask age-appropriate questions, if they even do, keep it simple and keep the emotions low to nil.

doingoveroroverdoing

If grandparents come up somehow—other side of the family, little friends have grandparents around a lot, people talking about who looks like whom—maybe just acknowledge you have parents. My parents live far away.  That might suffice for a while.