Low Self Esteem Help books for NPD women. Is there such a thing?

• 3 Replies

BigBird

Low Self Esteem Help books for NPD women. Is there such a thing?
« on: September 09, 2019, 02:14:34 AM »
I have a question?
If my 32 year old daughter really does have NPD that would mean at the heart of the problem she is suffering from low self esteem.  Right?
Would it be possible for her to somehow improve by getting a hold of a good book that helps with Low Self Esteem?
And if so, has anyone out there found such a book that would be tailored more for an NPD woman.
Thank you
« Last Edit: Today at 11:08:36 AM by all4peace »

notrightinthehead

• Host Member
Re: Low Self Esteem Help books for NPD women. Is there such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:06 AM »
Welcome! Although there is an abundance of self help books out there, I have not come across one that specifically focusses on self esteem issues of people with narcissistic personality disorders. I am also not sure if low self esteem = NPD.
On this site we try to find support when we have loved ones who suffer with a personality disorder - be that in the form of changing our behaviour towards them, or venting, or discussing how to deal with situations, and finding better ways to handle ourselves.
Read through the PERSONALITY DISORDERS tab for more information on the different personality disorders and the TOOLBOX tab for strategies to deal with behaviour you might encounter. As you suspect your daughter to suffer with NPD, you might find the Parent's Discussion and the Non-PD dad's forum good boards to read around on.
Once again, welcome! See you around on the boards.

BigBird

Thanks

Call Me Cordelia

Welcome!

Honestly, if such a book we’re written it wouldn’t sell. A huge part of narcissism is denial. If your daughter does have NPD, it would be extremely rare for her to a) accept there is anything wrong with her at all b) acknowledge she has anything but great self esteem (My narcissistic MIL used to go on and on about how great her self-esteem was, but lost her mind if I didn’t agree with her on anything.) c) she needs help with something so intrinsic to herself and d) follow through in a meaningful way to make lasting changes. If she were capable of all that, she probably does not have NPD in the first place.

Notrightinthehead rightly speaks of what we can do, ourselves, to deal with difficult behaviors. You ask could your daughter improve with the right resource. Maybe, theoretically. But that would be entirely up to her desire to change herself. I think that’s really the key factor for anyone, PD or not. Best wishes.