He admitted he has NPD

Started by Ylime, September 12, 2019, 11:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ylime

I am mentally exhausted.

I'm full of so much dread with this custody battle that's dragging on and on and on, and business stuff that hes trying to screw me over on, and having every aspect of my life still controlled by him as much as he can manage.

I never know what to expect next. There will be days of hoovering and love bombing followed by days of harassment and conflict over every small issue. I ignore most of it. The other night he sent me an email, right between dinner and bedtime of course, then texted to tell me he sent me an email so I would get right to it! Normally I keep him on mute when he doesn't have the kids but I forgot.

His email was super long, and basically said that he has come to realize that hes definitely a narcissist, and that the more he read about NPD the more he had to just accept it. So hes in therapy, working on having boundaries, being considerate and genuine, and "getting back to humanity." And taking parenting classes, bc his T thinks being a good dad will be healing for him.

Has anyone else's PD ever done this? Obviously its manipulation, right? But what does it mean? He knows a narc will never admit he's a narc so by admitting he's a narc hes proving he's not a narc? LOL my life is a nightmare.

Court won't care about this, right? We have a psych eval coming up that may confirm hs findings, but does it even matter?

I thought he was doing it to start sucking up to me again, bc I then asked for a schedule change to accommodate our kid's homeschooling now that the school year has started, and he was agreeable. Then he wanted to wait another week before making the change and when I said we already had plans, he flipped and accused me of alienation and suddenly decided that he wants to be part of homeschooling, even suggesting he take over the homeschool group I just started! Ridiculous.

notrightinthehead

You have a lot going on. Sounds like he is succeeding in keeping you in suspense and a state of emotional arousal a lot of the time. That might contribute to you feeling exhausted.
Have you considered taking a mental/emotional time out from him, say between 5 and 10 at night, where you force yourself to ignore everything that comes from him? Just so that you can recover a bit from the pressure.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Ylime

Yes, I keep him on mute in my phone on the days he doesn't have visitation, so I dont get notifications. But I had forgotten to put him back on mute last time. Unfortunately I have to deal with him first thing EVERY morning, either to exchange the kid or set up a Skype call for him and the kid. Yesterday we had a lot of back and forth because I want to get an agreement regarding moving one of his visitation times so it doesnt interfere with schooling. I have other families coubting on me to organize field trips and stuff. I should've known to go straight to the lawyers to settle it. Though they don't really get it...i was encouraged to try talking to him first.

Hazy111

A narc may well admit hes a narc.

There is a belief ive seen posted on this site many times, that if a person has insight they cant have PD. This is im afraid wishful thinking.

There have been many threads about this subject re divorcing from narcissists and there is some useful stuff on the internet and Youtube . 

looloo

My H (diagnosed w/ADHD) will admit at times that he's narcissistic, but I don't think he expresses much remorse, if any, for the effect he has on people.  It feels more like he expects me to appreciate this microdose of insight, and then provide him with even more leeway and forgiveness.  At this point, give me a break  :roll:

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, especially as a parent and as someone trying to disentangle yourself from a marriage.  Just UGH, I feel for you.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."  Oscar Wilde.

"My actions are my true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand."  Thich Nhat Hanh

Findingmyvoice

My biggest advice is to pay very little attention to what he says and instead pay attention to what he does.
This is the only way to tell if he means what he says.  Look for actual changes in behavior and don't jump at the first time he acts reasonable or does something nice.  Wait 6 months and see if his behavior has changed.
His behavior should change independent of you.

They will often try things, looking for cracks, but if it doesn't work for them quickly they will change tactics.
This is common trait for narcs, they think that everything should be easy for them and they don't like putting in long term effort to get what they want.  If they don't see an immediate reward for the effort they give up and go back to what feels best for them which is blaming, accusing, manipulating.

For example, someone that is kind and patient will always be kind and patient.  A narc or borderline will "attempt" to be kind and patient to get what they want but then revert back to the same behavior if it doesn't work.  They are not consistent.

my exBPDw also went to therapy, told me she was motivated to get better and told me that she would be a better mom and spouse, that she would fight for our family.  This was all under the condition that we get back together.
At the same time she would not allow me to have my personal belongings (still hasn't after a year and a half), wouldn't pay for any shared expenses or her own bills, wouldn't let me see our dog (still won't), triangulated with my kids, made every exchange a disaster. 
The therapy did not change her behavior.
Therapy was a tactic to get me to come back to her, that's all.