Just Joined

Started by ThrowawayOOTF, September 20, 2019, 12:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThrowawayOOTF

Hello everyone, 

I'm a husband and father of 2 boys. My wife went NC with her parents three and a half years ago and we've been navigating the waters with that and trying to figure out how best to proceed. Her mother has some sort of personality disorder (manic?narc?bpd? bipolar?). Although, it is unclear what an official diagnosis is. The family has been really hush about it. Recently my sister (lives on the other side of the country) has been picking up the slack for her and displaying her own BPD and affecting our lives to the point where I'm considering NC. It's getting to the point where its exhausting to think about and it's a lot easier to just focus on my family and screw the rest. Came here for support and to talk me through the best way to support my wife, kids and myself.   

Starboard Song

Welcome to Out of the FOG. Check out our Toolbox for some more background on techniques: what to do, what not to do. And then look all around at our topical boards. You'll find lots of folks battling similar issues.

I hope we are able to help.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

SerenityCat

Welcome! You are definitely not alone.

AllYouWishUs

Hi, you seem very thoughtful and caring about doing the right thing.  That's so important...thinking in terms of what is best for everyone.  I wish you the best of luck with these issues.  Just a humorous note as I am new here too:  I love these little cognitive-hand-eye-coordination tests we have to do when we're about to post.  They're a good way to measure where we are on the tiredness scale. ; )