Thinking they're an expert

Started by 11JB68, September 17, 2019, 03:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

Not sure if it's the expert thing or stinginess...maybe a combo.
UOCPDh always thinks he can just fix everything, take care of everything but he doesn't really want to etc.
Fil is starting to think he may be dying, he's elderly.
Last week he surprisingly mentioned he should probably have a will. Rather than agree and say yes you should see a lawyer, or even let me find you a lawyer, uOCPDh says he'll find a form online and do it for him. Ugh. Now he's stressed about this. This is one of the things that was bothering him yesterday. I don't know why he thinks this is a good idea...

Poison Ivy

For my ex-husband and his dad, both:  they think they're experts and they're stingy or frugal.

I think frugality and self-sufficiency are generally good things. But often they're not, for example, when a person cuts corners to save money and then screws things up or when a person really isn't an expert and does something that causes rather than fixes problems.

sevenyears

My Ex knew everything - or, at least believed he did. He managed to convince me, as well as even professionals in various fields. When I started debunking his myths, boy, did his anger increase - a lot. Example, we get a child care subsidy. Since I'm not a citizen of his country, he convinced me, as well as the office that administers this subsidy, that I, therefore, don't qualify to receive it, even though the children are citizens of this country and there are no rules disqualifying me. Well, fast forward a couple of years and I requested the bureau to put the subsidy in my name instead of his (still to our common bank account), and he went ballistic, and "removed" some of my jewelry as punishment for my "erratic behavior." Not to mention that he shouted at me for hours that night, and was angry for weeks afterwards.