Is a higher power trying to teach me something?

Started by 11JB68, September 19, 2019, 10:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

This week, after an onslaught at home AND at work....first I felt like, maybe it's me. Then I just felt depressed. Then I wondered...is there a lesson that God or some power is trying to teach me here?? What do folks think about this idea?
And then my boss may have put the lesson simply: Sometimes with these people you just have to say, Enough with you.

Andeza

Well, I guess it could be said that God is always trying to teach us something. What that is in your particular case is meant for you alone, although we could speculate.

Frequently, his lessons for me are to care less about what people think and care more about what he thinks. I would encourage you to meditate on your circumstances.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Lilyloo

I ask myself that question too! I also look online a lot about what God would want me to do about my issues with BPD mother. I do know God wants us to be happy.  I struggle with Honor They Mother

I
~Your heart knows things that your mind can't explain~

Andeza

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll be brief. Lindaloo, we do honor our parents when we put in place boundaries that encourage them to look within and heal their own problems. But also I would like to point out that very shortly after honor your parents, it says fathers (parents) provoke not your children to wrath. We all have our parts to uphold in order to make the Biblical view of family actually work and those roles can look very different.

11JB68, when the disciples were sent out to preach in all the towns, they were told if in any place they were utterly rejected (I'm heavily paraphrasing here, please pardon me for not looking up the passage) they were to kick the dust from their shoes when they left. In modern terms, if nobody is listening and you're getting bullied and harassed, just leave them to God's judgement. Sometimes it's really refreshing to think that the bullies and such that we encounter are not our concern. We get to let God take care of them. I said that to myself, allllll the time, when I worked with truckers. Some of the truckers were awesome, don't get me wrong, but others are the reason I don't get close to big rigs on the highway....
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Lilyloo

Awesome reply Andeza! I know it will help anyone who looks at this thread. I just read that verse yesterday about fathers not provoking their children.
~Your heart knows things that your mind can't explain~

11JB68

Andeza, that reminds me of a discussion I had with my boss this week, his comment which makes me smile, was 'sometimes with these people you just have to say, Enough with you'

HH

I agree with the idea that each circumstance is a gateway to hearing and receiving direction from God.
How do you go about hearing from God in your circumstances? I often ask people to pay attention to the "speed bumps".  When we drive and don't notice them one we can hit it moving pretty fast and be like "woah what was that!" then the next day - we do it again and the next day again. Maybe God is saying "I want you to slow down" so we don't crash into the bump at high speeds. Maybe he's saying "try another way" and we choose a different route.
Once you felt the "bump" (usually associated with strong emotions) then I ask people to go on a simple journey

It's based on the Gospel of Mark 1:15 "the time has come, the Kingdom of heaven is at hand. Repent and believe the good news!"

The first three steps have to do with "repent" or to "renew your mind"

The second three steps have to do with "believe" or "take action based on the renewed mind"

REPENT  - What is God saying ?
1) what did I observe about the "bump" - what did I do, what did I notice, how did I feel? I hit the bump too fast three days I a row
2) interpretation - what do i think that means ? Maybe I don't mind the speed limit - maybe I'm not paying attention, maybe I don't get ready in time to make it to work so I drive too fast
3) discussion. - who can I bring my observations and who can give me feedback and perspective on the first two steps - who can challenge it lovingly?

BELIEVE - What will I do?
4) Plan - what can I do to act on what I'm convinced God is saying? I'll set my alarm earlier so I don't have to speed through to be on time
5) Accountability - who will I tell about my plan? I tell my friend what I plan to do and make myself accountable to him for the decision I've made. This can look like reporting in after a week how you implemented your plan
6) ACT - do the plan.  I set my alarm 30 minutes earlier every day and have more time to prepare.

The example is not as complicated as dealing with hurt and emotional / unhealthy PD relationship / but / the principle works in any circumstance

Hope this helps hear God more clearly
Jesus said his sheep hear His voice (john 10:27) and that He knows them and they follow him. The steps above can help you to hear and follow Jesus as a way to know God more in an intimate, dynamic, and fruitful way