How to find a good therapist

Started by abusive_parents, September 24, 2019, 12:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gettingstronger1

Quote from: SaltwareS,gettingstronger1, thank you for posting that thread. Please read it everybody.

SaltwareS, thank you for directing people to my post on how to find a good therapist who does not invalidate our experience of dealing with personality disordered parents or abuse in general.  Treesgrowslowly asked a very valid question of why it is so hard to find a therapist who "gets it" when you talk about your PD parent.  I have seen that topic here on Out of the FOG before, and I felt like it deserved a legitimate answer as to why people were being invalidated by therapist.  In that post, I explain in detail why some therapists lack the necessary knowledge.  Please understand that I am in no way excusing this lack of knowledge or invalidation.  It is never okay to invalidate an abuse survivor, because they just re traumatize the survivor.  At any rate here is the link again where I attempt to explain what is going on. Please understand that I am not the definitive authority on this.  It is simply my opinion of things I have observed over the last 30 years as I have been on both sides of the mental health field as both a provider and someone who has also received therapy services.  I hope it gives reassurance to anyone who has ever been invalidated by a helping professional. 

https://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=81894.0