From mo's "what the actual ...??" files

Started by moglow, September 28, 2019, 05:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MamaDryad

It's the kind of thing that makes me waver, not because I want whatever useless items she's offering but because it hits me in the gut because it is so sad. It makes me feel sorry for her. So much of this stuff is about an inability to make real connections with other people, even their children.

But that doesn't cancel out the fact that they cause harm. Before my son was born, the pity was strong enough to make me override my sense of self-preservation. Not anymore.

moglow

QuoteSo much of this stuff is about an inability to make real connections with other people, even their children.

But that doesn't cancel out the fact that they cause harm. Before my son was born, the pity was strong enough to make me override my sense of self-preservation. Not anymore.
That's a mouthful of wisdom and reality, right there! My self preservation has been there lurking in the background, rarely ever put into practice because I was afraid of repercussions maybe, being [more] condemned by the voice of public opinion? Removing mother from my life has been a process, not the one-time act some might think. This realization that I've never really been part of hers is strange, outer limits stuff I've rarely peeked at. And yet, here it is, staring at me hard this morning.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

MamaDryad

It's so painful to realize, but also kind of freeing at the same time.

moglow

Yes, it is. More than I would have ever imagined.
Cordelia, I mentioned something to my brother along that line just last night, asked him if he thought all that bluster, all the awful things she says and does are actually how mother sees herself. Projects it onto others so it's not hers anymore, maybe. Seems she'd far rather kick and demean an underdog than embrace and encourage a victor.

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish