Freezing my eggs!!

Started by Hattie, October 13, 2019, 04:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hattie

Hi all,

I am 38 and single so I have decided I need to take action on the fertility front. I am going to freeze my eggs!

I went to an open evening at the IVF clinic last week and had a preliminary blood test done. Apparently my egg reserve is low, but the doctors can still work with it. So I am cautiously optimistic. Apparently there is a huge variety in how people respond to IVF drugs so I will have a better idea how things look after the first cycle of treatment. I am hoping to do that in Nov  ;D

It would have been better if I had done all this a few years back apparently but oh well. I might be just in the nick of time, but we shall see! There are no guarantees with fertility treatment but fingers crossed.

Feels empowering to take action on this. Having spent so long in a stressful relationship and trying to wheedle my ex into  going for IVF, it is good to be able to forge ahead on my own terms...
Love is patient; love is kind.
It does not envy; it does not boast.
It is not proud. It does not dishonour others.
It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

1 Corinthians 13: 5-8.

treesgrowslowly

Good for you! Sounds like this is something you have wanted for yourself and taking charge  does feel so good.

Wishing you all the best as you "forge ahead on your own terms". That's awesome.

Trees

JollyJazz

Hi Hattie,

Oh wow! Good for you :)

I have also frozen my eggs so if you want to talk to someone about the process let me know (and someone who has experienced plenty of PD behaviors as well)!

A book that helped me is called 'it starts with the egg' its full of excellent, scientifically based recommendations to improve egg quantity for IVF cycles and quality. Link is here: https://www.amazon.com/Starts-Egg-Pregnant-Naturally-Miscarriage/dp/0991126904 The author is just brilliant, she is a biochemist that has also gone through IVF.

I think you have a positive attitude towards it. It's definitely wonderful to have an option to take more control, even if there are no guarantees, any action WILL increase the chances. Best wishes to you!!! :) :)

Hattie

Thanks for the support, ladies.

Hmm, well, I just finished the first round of this. It was not a rip - roaring success as I only got 3 eggs, which gives me a 10-15% chance of a baby one day. Generally they hope to get more eggs than that. They are going to change a few things on my second round, so maybe that will go better. I will prob do a few cycles to bump up the odds a bit.

The process was tough as I experienced a fair bit of pain, bloating and exhaustion, but not too terrible overall.

It feels good to be taking action in any case. Whether it not it ultimately works, I can know that I tried fertility treatment and at least gave it a go.

I have found it easier to be around babies and small children since starting this process. Often, I struggle a bit as kids remind me of my infertility, but knowing that I am taking action has helped me let that go a bit.

I have also oddly been feeling very appreciative of everything I have in my life as a single, childless lady (friends, family, pet, hobbies, community, work, house, garden etc   :D). I suppose going through fertility treatment brings home that a lot of things would change if I have a child. Undoubtedly there would be joy, but loss also.

So yeah, I am feeling pretty balanced about it all. An interesting experience!

JollyJazz

Hi Hattie!
Congratulations on taking this brave step!
I like your positive attitude towards all the other things in your life as well! Best wishes and good luck with your next steps xx

Oscen

Good for you Hattie. Great to do what you want on your own terms. Wishing you luck.

Hattie

Thanks very much for the support, guys! Much appreciated! Xxx

Hattie

A quick update on this. My second cycle went much better than my first, and I was able to freeze 10 eggs from that. With the 13 I have now frozen, I have about half a chance of a baby someday. Third cycle coming up and then I should be in a good spot! Kind of a satisfying goal to work towards as the increasing egg numbers give a sense of progress (even if at the end of the day it will be a binary outcome whether or not all this results in a child).

JollyJazz

Hi Hattie!
What great news! :)
Your changes will definitely be higher than if you hadn't taken action! Good on you for taking control! :D

I am reading/working through a book that might also be of interest. Although I have been mainly sure I wanted kids I found this book really useful:
https://www.amazon.com/Motherhood-Step-Step-Guide-Clarity/dp/1945252162
Although I know you want this, sometimes especially for those of us from difficult family backgrounds there can be feelings of ambivalence and contradictory feelings to work through.

Best wishes for your next cycle!!!

Hattie

Jolly jazz - so many great book recommendations!  :bigwink:

The great thing about egg freezing is that it gives us time to work this stuff out!

I feel like I need to do my inner child work before having an ACTUAL child.  ;D

JollyJazz

I'm glad it's of interest 😊

I hear you on the inner child stuff! For me there's so much baggage from childhood it's really good to process it.

I think it's an amazing thing to do the healing work before becoming a parent.

Best wishes with your next cycle! 😊