Do your elderly NPD parents keep talking about your inheritance?

Started by Blueberry Pancakes, October 14, 2019, 09:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanotech

Flipping heck. Why do they do this? It's horrible.
As far as I know I'm not disinherited yet. But I'm not holding my breath that it will stay the same! X

Call Me Cordelia

My parents aren't elderly, but they're so terrible with money I'd be shocked if there were any inheritance to give/withhold.

My PD grandparents would hold out their hoarded-up house as being full of valuable treasures. And certain family members certainly wanted it... I only ever saw thrift store rejects, personally.  :unsure:

Adrianna

Quote from: nanotech on December 29, 2019, 10:01:24 AM
Flipping heck. Why do they do this? It's horrible.
As far as I know I'm not disinherited yet. But I'm not holding my breath that it will stay the same! X

Why do they do it?

One word: control.

Practice an attitude of gratitude.

Apparentlywicked

Yes! For as long as i can remember.  I'm 50 and have never done this with my kids. Much talk of the will. He's now in care and having to sell the home for his fees. Only the house isn't selling because he only ever repainted and never did any updating. Its like a museum to the 70's. Viewing feedback has included the 'bad vibes' 😂  He doesn't get it.

He'd go on about 'when I die get in touch with so and so estate agent he's always putting letters through my door about wanting to sell my property.' Honestly didn't realize it's just advertising and felt the estate agent has been  personally targeting him because his house is so amazing and tidy.

It's also like he never thought he'd become frail. He actually said 'i thought I was too clever for this' as if aging is what happens if you're stupid.

Outsiderchild

I'm at the other end of the spectrum where my mother is  so afraid of her children taking her money she refuses to do any estate planning at all.  She would much rather let the government take the money than let her children have it.   We ( her children) are not to be trusted, and that hurts.  The projection of her feelings and motivations on to us is painful.  There can be no discussion of any aging plan and my enDad goes along as he always has. 
I don't expect their to be anything left to inherit as I expect them to live well into their late nineties.   I don't care about the inheritance, what hurts is her ugly need to keep us from taking it away from her.  As if. 

So that is the dark and nasty world she lives in.  One where your children want to hurt you and would if you didn't protect yourself from them.  Ugh!

p123

If I had a £ for every time my Dad said "I think I'll give my money away now rather than leave it all until I'm gone".....

He must have said that 15-20 times. Usually ends up with him giving my brother and I £100 each then he changes his mind and decides he prefers loads in the bank.

He mentioned it last week and I just said "yes ok dad". Won't happen.