Interrupted

Started by Lauren17, October 17, 2019, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lauren17

I have noticed that I get interrupted or talked over. A lot! It seems to occur everywhere. uBPh, my siblings, my children, book club, work.
I'm guessing this has something to do with self confidence and boundaries.
I've learned that no matter how politely I ask to be allowed to finish my thought, the interrupter gets angry.
Anyone else? How to overcome?
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)

Amadahy

Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

StayWithMe

Give us some examples. Solutions will vary whether it's with a child, coworker or friend / family.

Andeza

With children it may be as simple as "please wait until I'm finished speaking dear" depending on how old they are.

With everyone else, would I be correct in assuming that as soon as you are interrupted you cease speaking because your thought has been detailed?
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

notrightinthehead

When I get interrupted, I loose concentration for a short while. I then have to find my thought again and continue what I was saying.  Sometimes I re-phrase what I was going to say and try to finish.

I am not suggesting that you do any of the following but in some situations I allow myself to interrupt people.  Such situations are  when they are waffling, monologuing, telling me something for the fifth time, telling a story with way too much unimportant detail, or tell me  nasty gossip.  I believe it is ok to interrupt in such situations in order to protect myself.

I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Andeza

I agree with notrightinthehead. It is entirely appropriate to interrupt at those times.

If you find when someone interrupts you that you stop talking immediately, in my experience that happens when I don't have a great idea of what I want to say or I'm unsure. I've heard it said the best thing to do when you are rudely interrupted is to finish your statement as though the other person did not just butt in. But of course, it depends on who you're dealing with. I wouldn't do that to my boss for instance.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

1footouttadefog

I notice this type of thing alot in certain locations. 

In PD rich zones,  people will exert their assertiveness and power with such things.  Their is a social pecking order that many climb with such dominance moves. 

I notice who is involved and whether or not they were uncomfortable with the interuption or if they seemed to just be glad that such and such was in their presence and did not seem to care or notice over multiple occasions. 

It's a measure of how they value me and I will take measure of things and avoid bothering with those who seem not to value my input.