The pain of being disinherited.

Started by 3mistyrivers, October 20, 2019, 08:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3mistyrivers

It is a long story on unequal distribution. My Dad is a self-made man who became a CEO of a major Fortune 500 company. He is now in his 90s. I was raised in wealth but always treated differently, and even as a child there were many times he told me he didn't like me. I felt like an unwanted foster child.

I decided to take some time off from college when he cut me off. Five years later struggling to pay bills and put myself through college I contacted the family. My mother had died and my Dad remarried a much younger woman and they had 2 children. He agreed to help me with living expenses but not my tuition. I was grateful and it helped a lot. Fast forward to the time when I wanted to go the graduate school: he would not help. Nevertheless, over the years, he has helped me out from time to time and helped me buy a car.

I am on disability now and recently ran into some financial trouble when the owner of my apartment building sold the building and we all have to move. Rents are skyrocketing in my area. I approached my Dad and he said he would not help. He also said "I am not a rich man."

I turned to the internet and found out recently more about his assets. He owns 2 homes paid in full, one worth $1.6 million and last year sold a vacation condo  for 3 million cash. Two weeks after the sale of the condo one of my step sisters who has no visible resources bought as 700,000k home. He has at least 1 mil in a stock portfolio and in retirement gets over 100k a year.  His total net worth is well above 6 million.

My Dad made it clear to me upon his death everything will go to his second wife who I haven't spoken with in 10 years. The sale of the condo and the extra house shows up as an assset for my other step sister. He also fully funded their private school college tuitions including master's degrees at colleges where the tuition is $50,000.00 a year.

It hurts. I know I was always disliked, and least favoured. But I always thought he would provide some token amount for me. He is aware of my situation and that it is desperate. He just doesn't care. When I tried to talk to him about the whole situation, he became verbally abusive.

​

I guess life just isn't fair sometimes. Everything in his will is set up as POD (Payable on death) to his wife. Is there anything I can do?

SerenityCat

Welcome 3mistyrivers, here are our Member Guidelines: https://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=30.0

Are you asking for legal advice? We are all peers here, we aren't operating as professionals. We aren't a substitute for professional help, including legal.

That said, I wish you well on your journey of coping with any personality disordered people. I know that it can be tough and also that there is hope.

xredshoesx

i'm sorry that you are dealing with this.

many of us have also been cut off financially.  for me, the price of freedom from the abuse has been worth every penny lost. 

it is important to note that this is a support group for people that are dealing with people with personality disorders.  from what you have shared, it is not clear who in this relationship, if anyone, has a PD.  we'd like to be able to offer help and advice, but from what you shared so far, your situation is totally outside of our wheelhouse here.