Volunteering

Started by Jsinjin, October 30, 2019, 08:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsinjin

I suspect this is somewhat limited to OCPD.   My uOCPDw is on the board and part of every single volunteer and Civic role that exists.   All of the roles, positions and events are donated time which is fine.  It's the sheer number that gets me.    As a local elected official associated with a school she literally goes to every single PTA meeting for every grade for all 21 schools to hear every parent group even if we don't have kids.  My daughter didn't make one of the sports teams so she wasn't on the team.   Yet my wife was thbparent who volunteered to prep and haul the meals to the 48 girls on the A, B, and C teams because "none of the other parents would volunteer".   I'm typing this because my daughter and I just finished listening to an orchestra concert yet we have sat in the car in the parking lot for over an hour waiting while my uOCPDw has remained inside tonight talking with some official.    It never fails!  We are never ever the family who shows up, listens, helps stack up chairs and leaves.   It drives all of us nuts!!
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli

Whiteheron

No, stbx is the complete opposite. He's too good to "work for free" unless it's something extra for his place of employment and he knows people are watching. He's said to me before "do you know what my hourly rate is?? these people can't afford me!"  :roll: He was asked to sit on the board for a local thing, and refused because it would cut into his valuable time too much. That, and I think it would have been far too difficult to pretend he cared for an extended period of time.

But I can say that he loves making people wait for him. Esp if we're in a hurry - he would find 100 things that needed to be done before we left.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Spygirl

Whiteheron

I think we were married to the same person, lol!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I would hear the same. All his money and time went to booze and party trips with his friends, without me.

Bummer part is it rolled into procrastination with the divorce.......