The Positive

Started by Lauren17, November 02, 2019, 09:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lauren17

This site has been so helpful to me. The definitions and tools have helped me to step off the roller coaster and define my boundaries. Being able to share my stories and have them understood is huge.
I'm finding, though, that I'm focusing on uBPDh's PD traits more than his good ones. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to see the positives again?
I've decided to stay married until my children are in college, and I'd like to find some contentment along the way.
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)

Poison Ivy

I'm divorced, but I do want to maintain a cordial relationship with my ex-husband.  One thing that helps me not focus totally on his negative traits is to keep in mind that I have negative traits, too; I want to be seen as a combination of all my traits, and I should do that for him, too.

notrightinthehead

Your question made me think.  And I do not have an answer for you.  Rather more questions. Are there positives? Which are they?  Looking at my own situation, I enjoyed the status of being married. And there were financial benefits.  Sadly for me, not much else. Maybe you have much more positives. List them. Think of them. Focus on them.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Cascade

When I see something positive in my husband I write it down on a list I keep private on my phone. Then I can look at the list when I need to. I struggle with this too when the PD traits are so obvious some days!

Fae Greenwood

In my case, the positives are that his NPD has made him focused on his career driven and that's paid off for me financially. He sets concrete goals for himself that may be a bit nutty but I've got to admire his stubbornness. His NPD also often makes him easily manipulated in that I can threaten to pull back the curtain and let our kids or friends see the truth and he backs off real fast. I'm just trying to make lemons out of lemonade.
I have to remind myself constantly that I am responsible for my choices but not the choices of anyone else.

When we have a child, we give a hostage to fortune and to the other parent.

I may not respond as I have to sneak onto this site and more than a quick view is challenging.

Lauren17

Quote from: Fae Greenwood on November 15, 2019, 12:32:39 AM
In my case, the positives are that his NPD has made him focused on his career . . . and that's paid off for me financially. I'm just trying to make lemons out of lemonade.
Mine is very career driven too. I do feel fortunate for that since many BPDs don't work at all.
I agree that can go in the lemonade jar.
Cascade, I'm starting a list as well. That's an excellent idea.
Thanks, all, for the suggestions.
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)