You/they "should thank me"

Started by 11JB68, April 16, 2020, 09:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

Talking with a friend today, she mentioned a certain politician saying that different people or groups should be thanking him, being upset that so and so hasn't thanked him. It struck me: this is a thing that uocpdh does. Friend says it's a narcissist thing.
For example, h and ds went to my coworkers wedding with me once. H didn't want to be there, was annoyed after, in yelling at me about it he said "you should be thanking is for going with you!"
I thought that was a thing that spouses did... Go to a wedding with their spouse...
Of course I've been to plenty of weddings for his friends and family, never complained.

blacksheep7

Sorry to hear that. It's like he was doing you a favor.
I agree with you that that's what spouses do. 
I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

"When people show you who they are, believe them."
Maya Angelou

clara

uNPDexh certainly said it enough!  I should be grateful to him for marrying me, because no one else would!  And for putting up with me.  And for taking care of me.  Etc.  Thing is, he did almost none of the things (after marrying me, which yes he did) for me he claimed he did.   He just wanted unearned praise, because in his mind he deserved it. 

SparkStillLit

Yes, my H is HUGE on the "thanking"! For every little thing. Every task, every ....everything!  Praise & thanks.
Also, he has this habit of thanking me after intimacy. It's very weird and feels almost sarcastic. Or maybe not sarcastic, but .... idk, who THANKS people after that????

Cascade

QuoteAlso, he has this habit of thanking me after intimacy. It's very weird and feels almost sarcastic. Or maybe not sarcastic, but .... idk, who THANKS people after that????

Ha ha, my husband sometimes does. My husband makes a big deal if any of our children ever forget to thank him for something, and will remember it years later, if they didn't thank him. Or even if they did thank him he sometimes forgets and resents them for it.

GentleSoul

I hear you.  Mine wants a big round of applause for washing up!!

Erm, no, spouses are meant to muck in and share the household chores. :roll:

ScotsLady

I'm disabled and get told that I and my parents should be thankful that he, my husband, took a disabled person off the shelf!  It totally p...s me off a lot, but sometimes I just don't show it.  Sometimes I bite back by saying, "yes, you are such a catch too, aren't you!"  I know that is probably wrong sinking to his level at times, but I can't help it!  He is so offensive! 

I also often get about how much he does for me in his caring role and how he has given up his life for me!  I never told him to every give up his job to look after me and he has continually been offered help by social work to give me a carer coming into help me with things like showering, helping around the home, etc and he point blank refuses, preferring to act like a martyr!!