Nowhere else to go

Started by 3amagain, November 23, 2019, 01:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3amagain

Hello, not sure how I found myself here but I was looking for help and here I am. Not even sure if this is the right type of website to be on. Personality disorders do play a role in my situation, but that's what I really need help with.

I recently got out of a long term relationship. It was toxic. Nobody realized or helped me out of it, I pulled myself out. My ex sexually coerced me several times over the years and I don't know how to heal from that. I don't have a support group. My relationships with my parents are not close enough for this matter because of personality disorders that caused conflicts. I can't afford therapy so I have nowhere to turn but the internet..

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point is, but then what's the harm, right?

Starboard Song

Welcome.

Out of the FOG is dedicated to those struggling with the pain and challenge caused by the personal disorder of others. We are a community of folks who all get it. We hope to help our members to better manage a PD relationship, or heal from one.

We have a page on Personality Disorder Types, and others on the top traits and myths of PDs. That's all available at the top of the page, under 'Personality Disorders.' Our Toolbox, right beside that, provides guidance like What to Do, and What Not to Do.

Read these pages. You may find that you're struggling primarily due to a guy who was just mean: who was deeply unkind, but not harboring a personality disorder. But if those pages speak to you, you'll know that maybe you are in the right place.  We have topical boards mainly organized by the nature of the relationship between the member and the person with the PD. Check out likely fits and see if people's stories resonate.

Whether or not we are exactly the right place, please begin -- right this moment -- building up a FOC that is with you IRL. A Family of Choice is so essential to getting your legs back under you and learning to trust. Even if there are few people you can really trust, please do not fail to try to find them. Some one or two real people will be of so much help: credentials aren't always the answer.

Good luck. Please read, read, read. And I highly recommend the books in the top line of my own signature for restoring peace of mind and a feeling of safety. You deserve to feel safe. I wish that for you.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

treesgrowslowly

Hello and welcome,

I am sorry for what you've been through.

There's so much in your first post that resonates with me. When you wrote 'I pulled myself out', that is so valuable for you to remember. You did pull yourself out and you will find the info you need to keep going on your path.

A family of choice can take time to build. There are different types of supportive friendships in life. It depends on where you are at and what you want and need to do to keep building your self and taking care of yourself.

No matter what, self care is a key part of our recovery from an abusive relationship.

Let us know what you want to share after reading through the pages that Starboard song mentioned.

Trees