Apparently I'm trying to escape per sister

Started by QuantumEnigma, November 30, 2019, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuantumEnigma

Hello all,

Just a little background on me...Over three years ago I started therapy to deal my depression and anxiety. Through my sessions, my therapist and I realized I was enmeshed with my family (like no boundaries whatsoever) and my mom was more than likely uBPD based on how she treated me. Over the years I have built strong boundaries with my mom and we have a decent "relationship". Now I am working on building boundaries with my younger sister. It is much more challenging as she had to move in with me after her divorce. (That's a whole another post story haha) I'm not sure if she has a personality disorder, but she has many control issues and I'm pretty sure she has OCD or something like it.

Soo..I am graduating with my bachelor's in science in May and now I want to go to graduate school. I just finished up my graduate school applications today (which I'm super excited about!). I'm applying to a few programs in state and one out of state (essentially to the state south of me). Yesterday I shared Thanksgiving dinner with my family and told them my grad school plans. I guess after I left my sister and Dad (he's an enabler by the way) talked about me and my future plans. They didn't understand why I would apply to grad school out of state and thought I was pretty much crazy. Today my sister told this today and then accused me of "just trying to escape" and I wanted to be "estranged" from my family that's why I'm trying to go out of state. I'm not trying to do either of those things. The school I applied to has an excellent Science program that I'd love to be apart of and maybe yes, I'd get some physical space from my family. I give my family space now even though we live 25 min away from each other!

It's just frustrating to hear my sister say these things. I know it's because I've worked on not letting her control me anymore and here she is trying to make decisions for me🤦🏻‍♀️ Anyways I just needed to vent somewhere safe. Thank you for listening/reading. Have a pleasant evening.

Call Me Cordelia

If you wanted to be estranged you would be. Sounds like your sister is voicing what she's afraid of.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation and best wishes for your future!