Refusing to go see a doctor

Started by Marinette, January 04, 2020, 10:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marinette

Happy New Year everyone!!
It's a challenging time of the year for many, and for me as well. My unPD mother is visiting us for a month from overseas...
As usual with any PD, there are always issues and problems accompanying her visits. Every. Single. Time.
This time, she got sick a few weeks before her flight here, and got a bad bronchitis.
She also has asthma which badly exacerbates chest colds.  I've asked her to go see a doctor before coming to see us in Canada. 
From experience, I know exactly what happens when she gets sick, and it's not pretty.
Just like I expected, she did not go see a doctor and arrived here with a nasty horrible cough. She walks around wheezing and coughing like she has consumption.
Her face is frequently a mask of martyrdom and suffering. She grabs her chest and makes the most awful coughing sounds.
I've been off work for 2 weeks staying home with my 2 young kids, and I can barely stand it.
Still, she will not go to a doctor because:
- doctors do not know what they are doing;
- doctors only want to profit from her ( she has no money so nothing to profit from);
- doctors prescribe medication, and medication is bad for you  :stars: ( of course, it's better to have massive chest infection than take medication).
I am so sick of this and this stupid Self-harming Behavior drives me crazy.
I refuse to be a nurse to her on my vacation.
Should I tell her to leave early and go home?
Thanks for listening to my rant !!

appaloosa

I would give her an ultimatum--see a doctor today or go home. Your choice. Your family shouldn't be exposed to her infection which could be contagious. Plus, you shouldn't have to listen to her hacking all over the place. Yuck.

11JB68

My Updh also refuses any medical treatment. So frustrating.

Pepin

Quote from: appaloosa on January 04, 2020, 10:59:24 AM
I would give her an ultimatum--see a doctor today or go home. Your choice. Your family shouldn't be exposed to her infection which could be contagious. Plus, you shouldn't have to listen to her hacking all over the place. Yuck.

Definitely this.  It floors me that people think they know more than MDs....especially when they haven't gone through any of the tedious education!  Not all MDs are great -- and for that, there is always a second opinion.  If she thinks she can do a better job at taking care of herself, it obviously isn't working.  If she doesn't want to see an MD, suggest seeing a naturopath instead.  She needs to put on her big girl panties and take care of herself.

Spring Butterfly

Quote from: Marinette on January 04, 2020, 10:19:47 AMI refuse to be a nurse to her on my vacation.
good for you! Huge kudos!

QuoteShould I tell her to leave early and go home?
Yes she can decide or not to see a doctor, that's her choice, but having a sick person in your house is your own choice to make even if she doesn't like or agree with your choice the same as you don't agree with her choice to be medically negligent. Everyone is an adult making their own choices.

My own uPDm and enF are both medically negligent and I've set them free as adults to make their own choices even when their choices aren't what I'd choose for myself or even my own pets. They can choose to suffer and attempt to create drama around their suffering because wellness... well where's the drama and attention in being well and healthy. Crazy making I know...
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

Marinette

Thanks to all for your kind responses!
Yes, it is so unbelievably frustrating.
It truly doesn't make any sense to me, but, just like Spring Butterfly said - where's the drama in being well and healthy? There will be nothing to complain about.  :stars: