Succession and Narcissism

Started by Psuedonym, December 08, 2019, 12:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psuedonym

I know one of the things many of us struggle with is people not understanding PD abuse, in particular how PD parents masquerade as the kind, generous people they are not. Like a lot of good fiction, I think that the show Succession does a better job of explaining it than I ever could. There's even an article about it, which I haven't read because I haven't finished the second season: https://medium.com/invisible-illness/succession-is-really-a-tragedy-about-narcissistic-parenting-fe96ec058cf3

On the surface, it's a show about wealth in America (its as close as it can get to saying it's the Murdoch's as you can get it), but it's really a show about the narcissistic patriarch of the family and the destructive power he wields in his children's lives, while at the same time giving them almost literally the world. The patriarch, who's name is Logan Roy, is a self-made billionaire who rose from nothing; it's strongly implied but never discussed that he was abused by his parents. His adult children on the surface appear to be ungrateful, spoiled, screw ups who, when they very publicly betray him, he very publicly forgives and "generously" welcomes back into the fold. However, as you watch the show, it becomes very clear what an absolute, classic narcissist Logan really is. He revels in their failures, whenever they are broken and dysfunctional he is happy. He makes dramatic displays of forgiveness and then heaps shame onto them for needing him to fix their problems. He's infantilized them and pretty much assured that they'll they turn into dysfunctional adults, and then when they turn out exactly as you'd expect, he takes on the role of benevolent savior. As long as they're compliant and don't act like his equals he is 'generous'. When they step out of their assigned roles he does everything he can to sabotage them, then goes back into forgiving mode. And of course all the while he's telling everyone else that everything he's ever done is for his children. It's really an extraordinary performance and absolutely exposes the gaslighting behind the 'but after all I've done for you' approach to parenting.

Have any of you watched it? I really can't recommend it enough. It's such a clear picture of the nature of narcissistic 'generosity' that it's helped me better understand my own situation.

Adrianna

I haven't seen it but I'll watch. I noticed that now that I'm aware of what narcissism is, I'm seeing it show up in tv shows. Like these:

The Affair on Showtime
Dead to Me on Netflix

Practice an attitude of gratitude.

Poison Ivy

Thanks for the posts. I've heard of "Succession" (I think one of my children is watching it) but I haven't seen any episodes. Now I'm intrigued.

JustKat

Thanks for posting about this, Psuedonym. I've heard about this show but have never watched it, having no idea what it was about. I'm definitely going to check it out now.