NC with sister and Mom and nephew passed away

Started by Ariel, December 12, 2019, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel

So I have been NC for 4 months after my narc sister set up a campaign to influence my mom that I was out to get her. My mom is also PD. Well my nephew passed away from a drug overdose. My other nephew called to tell me. He was cursed at by my sister and my mom went along with it for telling me. Apparently only the family that mattered was to be told. I and my kids didn't matter.so I call my mom,my sister was there to express my condolences. My mother cried and lied of the course of death, my sister was snippy and snotty.i ignored rude comments. Come to find out that she was telling my neices and nephews not to talk to me ( from September) that I wasn't part of the family. Nephew thinks his mother got his brother hooked on drugs and bought them for him.My surviving nephew is realizing that his mom is a narc. Thinks grandmother is maybe too but she is ok to him.
Anyway I was feeling good about myself until this  Now I really don't want to see my sister and Mom. I am already upset and anxious.
I don't want to go to the funeral. Plus it's no easy task it's 8 hours away. I don't feel I can take it. I feel bad about my neice and nephew though ( they are both married and about 35 years old) would I be really wrong for not going

Call Me Cordelia

Oh, how very very sad! I'm so sorry, Ariel.  :'(

No I don't think you would be wrong not to go to the funeral. You have every right to take care of yourself. And it sounds like your presence may trigger all kinds of terrible behavior, which I'm sure you don't need and neither do your surviving nieces and nephews. If your nephew is starting to get it about the family dysfunction and at that distance he may very well understand.

You have the option to send flowers or a donation in his name and to reach out directly to those family members who are safe for you whom you wish to support. Again I'm really sorry for your loss.

Fiasco

It would not be wrong to avoid the funeral. Since your nephew who kindly called you is well aware of the drama your presence might unleash in your mother and his mother I'm sure he would understand that you don't want to add to his grief by being the focus of nonsense. I'm very sorry about your nephew.

SunnyMeadow

Very sad, I'm sorry Ariel.

I agree with the others, given the circumstances it wouldn't be wrong to avoid his funeral. Flowers or a donation would be a very nice thing and it may help you feel connected in a small way.