new years resolutions

Started by Crushed_Dad, December 18, 2019, 04:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crushed_Dad

Perhaps a little early, but does anyone have anything in mind?

I'm going to,
- be nicer to my kids
- lose some weight and get back in to my running as much as ankle will allow
- try and get some money together/pay down debt
- have a holiday
- drink less

Whiteheron

I plan to:
lose those extra pounds I regained due to stress
stick to the new gym regimen I've already started
work hard at being "in the moment" with the kids and with friends (I find I feel like I'm sleepwalking through my days and not truly present)
be grateful for the things I have and have worked hard for

You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Spygirl

I am going to be;

Grateful for surviving my divorce,  and not going back to my ex. (Thank you everyone here)

Continuing to lose stress weight. 10 lbs to go!

Eating healthy again and getting all the sleep i need.

Being a servant for kindness, and a soldier towards cruelty.

Waking every day and knowing that this day is not to be taken for granted anymore.

Executing on my plans for the year with confidence.

Poison Ivy

I hope to maintain my boundaries regarding my ex-husband and his neediness and self-pity.  I plan to use vacation time more often (I have a lot accumulated).

Grahamcracker

Mostly to continue down the road I have set out upon, and to both accept and/or handle obstacles and diversions as they arise.  Essentially my version of the Serenity Prayer, "Accept the things I cannot change, change the things I can, and do my best to tell the difference."
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

1footouttadefog

I want to focus on finishing my job schooling and parenting my youngest.  Struggling with wanting to spend too much time in escape mode.

I want to spend time purposefully.  I used to get so much done each day and for a year or so I have been much less functional.  Spending time away from the house getting exercise will help. 

Need to take my health back u see control, slothfulness, stress eating etc have put about ten pounds on this past year. 

I am going to drink more.  Strange but I don't take enough time out for adult social activities.  I plan to play trivia at a local restaurant and lounge a couple times a month. 

Grahamcracker

For specifics, cut way back on sweets, keep going to the gym, and keep listening to my heart.  Most other things seem to be on track right now.
"Wisdom's a gift, but you'd trade it for youth, Age is an honor but still not the truth"  Vampire Weekend.

tob-ler-one

Invent a time machine.

If that's not possible, I want to cut down on sugar and take better care of my mental health.

mdana

I am going to

1. Start walking/jogging 4 x week
2. Eat healthier (2-3 meals/day rather than 1) 
3. Look for meaningful employment and not accept any offers that compromise my values, skills, or salary (worth)
4. Practice being more mindful and present
5. Start and End my day with a short meditation prayer

M
M
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. The Dalai Lama

doglady

Am going to
1. Keep strengthening my boundaries.
2. Increase yoga practice.
3. Get back to journaling.
4. Show my gratitude to my H, kids and close friends.
5. Increase my exposure to positive relationships.
6. Engage in more creative writing.
7. Believe in, accept and like myself more.
8. Cut out alcohol.
9. Not feel guilt if FOO and FMs get upset that I choose not to be in their company.
10. Not angst as much and beat myself up if I’m feeling angry, but to also keep working on mindfulness for some of my reactions.

Associate of Daniel

I could say I'm going to lose 20kg but I'd be fooling myself.

I'm heading into a period of grief as my ds13 goes to live with his uNPD father and uNPD smum.  I know I'll likely grieve through  a poor diet and stack on more weight.

I hope to strengthen and stick to my boundries with ds's uNPD smum.

I hope to find an ounce of humanity in her so that I can have an ounce of empathy for her. (Sorry. I'm a little bitter today.)

I hope to do a big paper declutter.

I hope to declutter my bedroom. (More paper - and who knows what else)

I hope to replace my side fence. ($1,000s) or at least do some sort of prop up work on it. Part of it is currently being held up with a vice.

I hope to save as much as much $$ as possible for court costs later in the year.

I hope to find an avenue for singing again that's in line with my skills and interests.

I hope to keep to a house cleaning routine.

I hope to listen to more classical music, start reading poetry, start studying various artists and their art and I hope to read more books.

I hope to get through the year in one piece emotionally and mentally.

Happy 2020, everyone.  I truly hope it's a good year for all of us.

AOD

athene1399

I want to work on sticking to my diet better to keep the acid reflux under control.

I want to keep going to the gym. I enjoy it and it helps me to better manage the depression and stress.

I've been doing great at limiting my alcohol consumption. I want to keep that up.

I want to get back into some of the hobbies I enjoy that I haven't had the time for. I feel like I've lost the motivation for my hobbies.

I've been working on staying present and being mindful. I want to keep that up too.

I want to work on being grateful for what I have instead of being upset over how much further I have to go. Maybe enjoy life where I am instead of wishing it were "better".

Happy New Year everyone!

Emmy

I would like to adopt a more healthy lifestyle with more exercise and healthy food.  I know that way I also feel better mentally but I always fall back into bad habits...
And I would like to work and focus more on forgiving. That is such a hard one, that will probably keep me busy the whole year!
Happy New Year everyone!

Poison Ivy

I hope that 2020 is a better year for everyone.  People on this forum support and inspire me.  Thank you very much!

Jade63

1. More art
2. Less carbs

~ Jade

practical

Get back on my horse if I fall off (figuratively  ;) )

Read a suggestion that instead of overwhelming yourself with New Year resolutions and then beating yourself up when you cannot keep them, to look at each week as a new beginning and also to have a look back at the end of the week and give yourself a pad on the back or/and a pep talk if something didn't go according to your ideals.
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)

Libria

These are great posts.
I resolve to invest more of my time and energy in my career and my fitness, which are long-term goals that benefit ME, and to decrease the amount of impulsive escapist avoidant behavior I've been doing.  Avoidance and escapism helped me survive the early phase of recovery but I resolve to go beyond that now.

Crushed_Dad

Quote from: Libria on January 01, 2020, 08:07:42 PM
These are great posts.
I resolve to invest more of my time and energy in my career and my fitness, which are long-term goals that benefit ME, and to decrease the amount of impulsive escapist avoidant behavior I've been doing.  Avoidance and escapism helped me survive the early phase of recovery but I resolve to go beyond that now.

echo this, I have some very achievable certifications I could get under my belt and chronic injuries permitting some easy gains to make fitness wise. Trick here s not to bite off more than I can chew.

hhaw

Expand on self care.

Practice mindfulness consistently....I enjoy it, but old habits creep in under pressure.

Zero gl/s/dairy for 2 months would take 20lbs off if I eat lots of protein 3x day and 1 gf carb a week. 

It's all or nothing and I'll begin when it's time.  Steady workouts that don't harm joints.  I really hurt my shoulders when I went back to old martial Arts routine.  I have to be wise and select activities that support and strengthen, like yoga. 

Modeling healthy things for my teen DD s pays multiple dividends.

I don't make resolutions anymore.  I know what I should do.

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Grahamcracker

I agree about not making resolutions, but rather in doing what I know I should do.  I now got to the gym three or so days a week, mostly spinning but also some upper body and shoulder work.  It's reached the point of habit, I hope permanent habit.   I try to meditate, but have trouble getting past my monkey-mind.  I have a great weakness for sweets, and that undercuts my fitness regime, but I don't really know how to quell that.  Dark chocolate especially seems to appeal, and I sometimes rationalize that by saying it releases endorphins that justify the sugar.  Even though I know better.