What is fun for you?

Started by capybara, December 23, 2019, 02:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capybara

I am trying to make more room for enjoyment in my life. I feel like when I think about things to do, then tend to be "good for me".... like trying to work out more or meditating. What do you do for yourself that is just fun?

Poison Ivy

Reading, watching TV, having a dog, taking the dog to dog parks. 

Re the dog(s): It was a big step for me to adopt a dog while living alone.  The first one for me "alone" was while I was still married but when the children were in college (far away) and husband had left me to become his parents' caregiver.  That first dog that I adopted was middle aged when I adopted her; she developed cancer and I had her only 3 1/2 years.  The next dog was a senior and, it turned out, had cancer already when I adopted him.  I had him for 7 1/2 months.  My current dog also is a senior, and I've had her for more than 1 year.  She's 13 now, and still in pretty good shape.  People sometimes tell me to stop adopting old dogs, and I tell them that I LOVE adopting old dogs, even if they don't live a long time. 

GettingOOTF

I like simple things like watching movies, going for walks, spending time with my pets, cleaning and organizing my home. I do work out regularly but I wouldn't say I enjoy it.

It's funny as I've never had any big interests or hobbies. I've been working on accepting that I like the things I like.

I like going out to eat and drink and just generally hanging out.

I have been wondering if I will develop some "real" interests, if my lack of them is a sign I'm somehow broken or disconnected from my life. I think one needs to start small and discover.

Andeza

Playing video games. It's not easy with a baby, so I tend to stick to games that have a pause feature. Otherwise I come back to my game character having been eaten by a T-rex.  :roll:
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

D.Dan

I like video games, reading, movies, cooking and home repair. I like playing with my tools and figuring out how to fix things around the house. (It's nice now that my uPDex can't stop me)

I also like a lot of creative hobbies. Drawing, sewing, cross stitch.

Call Me Cordelia

I like creative things. Sewing and painting (my house). Doing crafts with my daughter. We did a play this fall and that was really fun. Hiking. Baking. Going on dates with my husband.  8-)

Spygirl

Poison ivy

Special place for people who take others discarded pets

Your karma bank, and greeting party inheaven, will be HUGE

NumbLotus

I agree, I might want to take older pets if I am free some day. But I'm not sure because I can't drive, so vet care will be hard.

I don't remember what my interests or skills are. I'm barely a person anymore.
Just a castaway, an island lost at sea
Another lonely day, noone here but me
More loneliness than any man could bear

SparkStillLit

Reading, knitting, hiking, kayaking, I used to play hockey, but sadly my hip surgeon has banned that activity (especially as I was the goalie), baking, and now I go to the gym. I've Zumba-ed, that was great fun, and done yoga classes too.
Just incidentally and aside, updh tries to interfere with all of these. Some more than others. Used to fight with me before hockey and make me cry.

Sunflower_Rising

Giant bubbles (DIY wand and bubble solution is the best). Spinning in place until I fall over. Talking to pets like they're people and we're having a mundane conversation about their relationship problems. Building a giant fort in the living room. Watching dogs eating peanut butter or videos of babies laughing. Playing tag. Watching a romance movie and skipping ahead to the first kiss scene. Naps. Dancing. Singing. Hugging a really good tree and crying my eyes out. Brainstorming characters and plots for my first novel. Eating lavender ice cream with a tiny spoon on a hot day. Watching Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings during a thunderstorm.

I do a lot of complex stuff in my life, but the things that I enjoy most are pretty simple.

capybara

So many great ideas! I like hiking. I used to like baking a lot but cooking for the family for years has mostly burned me out on it. I do like reading, but I feel guilty if I read for too long. I used to like quilting. And I like getting together with friends.

GentleSoul

What a lovely thread.  Thank you all.

I love walking.  Love it, love it, love it.  Fast and on my own.  Blows all the cobwebs away, quiets my mind, releases all those wonderful feel good chemicals.  Wraps me in a blanket of cuddles and self care.

I also like meeting up with pals for coffee/tea and chats.  I find an hour and a half is the perfect time for me, I notice my pals are the same.  I am an introvert as are my pals. We comfortably enjoy our time together but then is time to move on.  I love this.  We are on same wavelength. 

I enjoy clothes shopping especially in charity shops/thrift shops as you never know what gorgeous vintage clothes you will find.  I am currently totally loving a beautiful chocolate brown velvet coat I found (£6) , also an equally gorgeous old grey long coat with (faux) fur on the hood (also £6). I feel like a character in a Disney film when I wear it.  I like wearing dresses.   

I love my home, I love making it nice.  I love my delicious meals.  I have an eating disorder so I run my program for that which I absolutely love doing. 

I enjoy films on Netflix although I am very particular.  I cannot watch violent, nasty, shouting, swearing type films as they upset my balance and peace. 

Gosh, I didnt realise how many good things I have in my life that I enjoy.

In the grand scheme of things - my uPD hubby is like an unpleasant ornament that is in the house causing a stink but it is a stink I can work around.

tob-ler-one

Music. Listening to it, not playing it. I like a bargain as well.

I can't drive but if I could, I think I'd spend time just dotting around. Having a car and being able to run it and being able to afford to run it is a kind of freedom to me.

1footouttadefog

I like fixing things.

I like building things. 

I like starting new hobbies and learning new things. 

I am currently undertaking a big long term project, creating an organic vegetable farm.  It will likely be about 2 to 2.5 years before it's all up and running but it will keep me busy getting there. 

Many simple things make me happy and I need to take time to smell the roses so to speak.

Lauren17

I so enjoyed reading this thread.
Here are my fun things:
Baking
Sewing
Gardening
Reading
Yoga
Walking

Spark, my uBPDh also tries to interfere. There's lots of mocking and invalidation. Maybe we need another thread on how to successfully implement these activities.
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)

Whatthehey

Wow oh wow did I need to read all the positives on this thread.

I like to knit.  I put on a silly movie and knit afghans for family.  Finished four before Christmas for kids/grandkids.  I find it meditative.

I really like to camp and enjoy the outdoors and exploring.  I am getting ready to buy a small RV and within two years plan to travel full time.  I want to spend a few weeks in an area. Explore it.  Write about it.  Photograph it.  And move on.  No plans to monetize it just experience it.

When camping, I like to walk.  Walk the campground.  Hike the parks.  Walk the towns.  Just easy, slow and meditative walking.

I may do the pet thing one day.  Right now I can just about take care of myself.   :roll:

Free2Bme

Great thread, especially since these things were hard to define while in the FOG.

My fav's..

Time with my kids, doing anything - card games, their music, badminton, food
Music (all kinds) over TV anytime
Heavy yard work, build things, home projects
Good food and wine
Dancing- home or out somewhere
Sketching
Laying on blanket in my back yard
Enjoying my pets, 4 dogs, parrot, cat, rabbits and local wildlife
Non-fiction reading
Concerts

It is good to enjoy these things now that I can do so without sabotage from a PD in the home.   :woohoo:

Libria

Thanks for asking such as great question.  I've been struggling with finding daily choices that will help me enjoy life.  Initially I had the opposite problem as you.  When I disengaged from PD-related problems, I did so by focusing on my sensations, my feelings, my immediate desires, and ignoring external expectations.  This led me to waste a lot of time binge-watching Netflix, playing electronic games, and having minimal self-discipline.  So now I'm trying to build more meaning and purpose in my life by pursuing self-oriented (selfish) goals in career and fitness that are large, long-term goals.  I'm just starting and not sure how well it'll work out. :)   Can you say more about your feelings and instincts when you choose "work" and self-discipline instead of choosing "fun?"

Crushed_Dad

playing football (soccer to most on here)
fishing with my son/alone/with friends (with friends doesn't happen much now owing to commitments)
running (5km, 10km, 10 miles, half mara)
trail/enduro cycling
taking my son to his football training and matches
travelling (something I don't do anywhere near enough of.)

I took my daughter swimming alone for the first time at the weekend, it was an absolute joy, I hope to do it more. Once she's old enough to go to more clubs etc I'm excited to take her to those too. I get a lot of enjoyment from watching my kids enjoy themselves and trying things out.

1footouttadefog

I forgot to mention an important one and I think others will relate..

I like being around others having fun.  It does not matter to me what for the most part.  Party, volley ball, hiking, Bible study, eating, cooking, doing volunteer work, watching paint dry,
vietually anything as long as most are cheerful and enjoying themselves.

My pdh had a hard time being at places where others were getting along okay and not paying attention to him. 

Over the years I did less and less u til I realized I had to break free of him and go alone