Mil says we ruined her Christmas

Started by Spirit in the sky, December 25, 2019, 01:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit in the sky

After last years disaster hubby and I decided we were having a quiet Christmas at home and going to mil which we have done for the past 18 years.

We made it very clear and politely that we decided to have Christmas at home and although she continued to ignore this fact, we thought she had accepted it.
Obviously not, we got a phone call to say we had ruined her Christmas, she was too upset to eat dinner and spent the day in bed.

Hubby inadvertently mentioned we had gone to visit my parents (my dad is very ill but mil doesn't know). She started to  have a go at my mum and went into complete victim mode. Hubby said we hasn't upset but I could tell he was, he had been really looking forward to our first Christmas at home.

We went for a lovely long walk this morning, had lunch and just chilled out for the rest of the day, until the phone and the voice of doom started. I think hubby had fooled himself into thinking she had finally realised how bad her behaviour was and the effect it was having on him. Now she's right back into her old ways again.

Penny Lane

Sending you strength and peace. What I found with my DH and his uPDxw, the first of this type of boundary setting is always the hardest. Hopefully the rest of your day was back to nice and quiet.

Spirit in the sky

Quote from: Penny Lane on December 25, 2019, 06:27:01 PM
Sending you strength and peace. What I found with my DH and his uPDxw, the first of this type of boundary setting is always the hardest. Hopefully the rest of your day was back to nice and quiet.

I wasn't surprised because I know her form. Hubby had been lulled into a false sense of security as she told him she wouldn't be offended if we didn't go. Instead of just getting on with her life she wants to punish him and she's probably annoyed all the money she spent on him didn't buy him back. I'm still fuming but I'm learning to channel my angry into keeping my boundaries firmly in place.

It did put a bit of a dampener on the day but hopefully reinforces to hubby what a spiteful person she really is.

bloomie

Spirit in the sky - this is a big step forward in reclaiming your holidays and time. And it is painful, oh so painful to see our DH's hurt by this. I am thankful you had lovely moments together and each other to comfort and support through this.
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.