Back again, so angry!

Started by jazzhands, December 30, 2019, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzhands

Hi all, I haven’t been by in a while. Gray Rock had been working out for me, but when things get rough I appreciate your wisdom and advice.
My MIL has been submitting articles to the local newspaper and a couple have been published.  Recently she emailed us a new one that was chosen to be published, a family story which related to the holidays. My husband responded  and shared a little aside, something he experienced on the same date discussed in her article.
She apparently added his reply to her story and resubmitted it to be published, listing his name and the details. (He is military/currently deployed). After the new details were sent to newspaper, she emailed him and asked if it was ok if she included his info in her story. My husband replied that no, it  wasn’t a good idea and he’d rather she didn’t include it.

His father then responded to my husband, with “I feel your info had to be included to bring the historical aspect up to date in our family history”  he went on to say that he took “full responsibility” for the article being published with my husband’s info and that he personally saw no violations of security information.

Well, it was published. It included my husband’s name and deployed location! This could really be harmful to him due to the nature of his job. Not to mention once it’s online, it’ll always be there.

My husband was hurt and sent an email explaining his concern. FIL replied “no more talk or writing of (deployed location).”
No apology, just “we aren’t going to talk about this anymore”. Oh, then MIL replied separately that it was FIL’s fault that husband’s details were published. Zero responsibility from either of them.

I feel terrible for my husband and so mad that they didn’t honor his wishes or even offer a simple apology.  It’s so inconsiderate and selfish, especially given his current situation. Like he has time to deal with this kind of crap...

Fiasco

Holy freakin OpSec Batman. I can see why you're angry, I'm angry for you! Hopefully hubby has seen who he can't share info with during deployment again.

SmartyCat

Oh no!!! I take it his parents don't have military experience themselves? That really is beyond awful.

I'm sorry you and your husband have to deal with that, and that your ILs have shown themselves to be so untrustworthy. All the best, and a sincere thanks for your family's service.

jazzhands

Quote from: SmartyCat on December 30, 2019, 09:15:39 PM
Oh no!!! I take it his parents don't have military experience themselves? 
This is what’s crazy, FIL is retired military, he was in for over 20 years and knows better. He said, in his opinion,  there was no OPSEC violation. His ego trumped his son’s safety.

jazzhands

Quote from: Fiasco on December 30, 2019, 09:06:53 PM
Holy freakin OpSec Batman. I can see why you're angry, I'm angry for you! Hopefully hubby has seen who he can't share info with during deployment again.
Thanks for the response. It's infuriating, more so bc they're a former mil family and know about OPSEC.

Fiasco

Uggghhhhhhhhh of course he's retired military. Qualified to know better than the entire military if opsec applies. 🙄