PD parent has made me a better parent...after I learned about PDs!

Started by Freedom2019, January 05, 2020, 02:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom2019

I arrived to the realization late in life that mom has borderline tendencies if not full blown BPD...and now that I see it and have become aware of what exactly was happening I can see how I picked up some fleas from her...for instance using the excuse of being stressed to yell at the kids. (Who as a parent isn't stressed around their kids? Kids don't deserve to be yelled at (for nothing or without a dang good reason of which I can't think of)) Anyhow, I'm profoundly saddened by this but also hopeful that it will help me be a better mom to my kids. Unfortunately my 18YO son probably got the worst of both me and my mom as we lived with her for a time when he was little after my first divorce. Poor guy! I think overall I am a very loving and empathetic mom but Ive let those fleas get me and now Im taking a flea bath!

Anyone else pick up some bad habits from PD parents?

Also, I've already noticed that my increased awareness of this has led to me being able to pause in those moments of stress and think about my reaction and make a more measured one so I'd say that is progress. My little 9 YO shared that once I had pinched her cheeks together when angry (this was last year if not longer) and it still bothers her. I was able to give her an apology and tell her im honestly sorry and it wont EVER happen again. It feels really good to know that I can take responsibility for myself and my actions and start to rebuild more of that trust and relationship with my kids. If only my own mom would do the same!!

Brooke

Very nice post!

I work hard on not laying on guilt trips, not being passive aggressive, and not telling anyone what to do/be overly controlling. These are the worst traits in my parents.