My Mother says...only weak people need anti depressants!

Started by sarandro, January 10, 2020, 07:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p123

Quote from: Sweetbriar on February 12, 2020, 11:30:19 AM
A person who says "only weak people need anti-depressents" is just saying, "you are weak." It's a cruel, cruel comment to make when someone is already feeling down and out. I am relieved that you did not take that on. And I am so sorry she said that to you. I believe people who take care of their mental health are brave and strong.

It's strange to me that there is still a culture of shame around depression with the older generation. They'd rather people suffer in silence than get better. That is hurtful and only makes depression worse.

Another point I want to make is, there was a meme going around a few years ago, that said something to the effect, "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks". I have given this serious thought over the years, because I am always happier when I remove the jerks from my life.

I had serious issues with depression as a teen but when I moved out of my FOO, it lessened and I felt joy for the first time in my life. That said, I do understand that I've been dealing with C-PTSD from the effects of growing up in a toxic childhood home, and if anti-depressents relieve this, I use them with no shame at all.

Oh yes I've got experience of my Dads attitudes. "Got to pull yourself together", "what have you got to be depressed about?", "You need to snap out of it".

I've suffered off and on for 25 years. Medication, psychs the lot. Dad knows about the first 3 months then I just didnt tell him. As you can imagine his attitude makes things worse not better.