Disinherited and estate nonsense (Ndad recently dead now) - advice needed

Started by Blue233, January 14, 2020, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonetoblame

Blue, the situation sounds challenging but I guess it depends on what a person is willing to do for a shot at 300k. As I read the thread, the option of tying everyone else up in court in perpetuity to ensure everyone looses crossed my mind... it's unlikely I would follow through with the idea though.

I'm an only child so the dynamics of sibling disputes are novel to me. At the time I finally went NC I provided a letter to my father stating, for the record, that he is free to remove me from any Will or estate and directing him to remove me as a beneficiary to his life insurance plan. I could have played nice, but it would have been false and the money just isn't worth it. In my situation, it's well over 500k.... but the last 10 years have been the quietest and sanest in my life. I'm also not burdened with any sense of responsibility for managing his affairs if he needs to go in a home etc., which is also a very healthy place for me to be in. I have 'cousins' from his side of the family, none of them have had any career success -- they can have the money

Blue233

@bluescruise I tend to agree with you, I am pretty sure that he knew what he was doing when he made my youngest brother the sole inheritor. I think it's disgusting that any parent could do this to their children knowing that it will tear the siblings apart. I also feel like dropping the rope is a pretty good option right now, I just don't have any more energy left to fight them anymore, nor do I really want to. As I told my therapist, I would rather just be happy at this point (meaning take the peaceful route).

@danden that is pretty amazing you managed to find an attorney that was able to help you. Good for you! My closure and justice will come in the form of an anonymous memoir and how to "heal from narcissistic families" book that I will be publishing on Amazon. My therapist has encouraged me every step of the way to do this, so in some small way I will be helping others and any profits from this book can be my inheritance. makes me feel better every time I think about it.

@weavingthru that is horrific that they made you send family heirlooms back in the mail, completely disgusting and hateful and I'm sorry you went through that! And yes, the easiest thing for me to do right now would be to walk away and I am strongly leaning towards that at this point just for my own peace of mind.

@theonetoblame thank you for sharing, it helps me when I hear that others have walked away from a large sum of money and were at peace doing so. It helps me to know that I am making a good decision for myself as well. I appreciate you sharing.