Obsessing over celebrities

Started by 11JB68, January 17, 2020, 11:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

Well, the o in ocpd does stand for obsessive...
H does sort of obsessively/compulsively watch TV, watch certain things over and over on Netflix and YouTube etc.
Yet if I did this he would make fun of it and wouldn't allow it.
A musician that he greatly admired passed away over a week ago. He reacted.... As if a close friend had died almost. Also he has been obsessively watching you tube stuff about this guy for a week now. (This was a musician/bands that was one of my favorites also). Some of the stuff really is sorry of silly, you tubers giving emotional talks about how devastated they are... It's a bit over the top imo. Also, again, if it were me, and some other celebrity, he would say this is stupid and change the channel.

SparkStillLit

That would drive me bonkers.
Since they seem so similar, over here I think h is obsessed with this damn *cane*!!! He bought the thing 10 years ago when I had my hip done, and he was always trying to insist on my using it then. I can't recall that it was ever recommended or necessary. Off and on since then, any time any one injured a foot or limb he whips that thing out and tries to force its use on people.  Well, a kid with a sprained ankle isn't going to use a cane. He gets really loud and aggressive about it though. And wouldn't you know.. .here I am in a boot, and out comes the cane!!!! He threw away everything else related to hip (crutches, shower chair), but not that cane. Of course, when his knees bother him, does he use the precious cane? F***k no, he goes around grousing and complaining the house down!

clara

There are fans and there are stans and then there are PDs who are fans, and they probably constitute a category entirely their own.  My uNPD friend also obsesses over celebrities, same as he obsesses over certain ideas or certain life events, even ones that happened years ago. With his celebrity obsession, and he has a very select few, he believes he can communicate with them telepathically.  He thinks he's in a type of relationship with several of them via this telepathy.  He tells them about his life, and he thinks he knows things about theirs (that no one else knows), all with his unique ability.  Fortunately, he's never gone off the rails with it or engaged in stalker behavior (that I'm aware of) but it amazes me the amount of emotional energy he gives to these people he doesn't even know, energy he seldom gives to the people actually in his life (except in the early stages of the relationship where he's trying to draw you in).   :stars:  indeed!

NumbLotus

That is another condition entirely, a type of relationship delusion that is in the stalking category (even if he has 't stalked).

It's bad.
Just a castaway, an island lost at sea
Another lonely day, noone here but me
More loneliness than any man could bear