New member, seeking support & answers

Started by mrsbohn002, January 21, 2020, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsbohn002

I'm a new member, with what I believe to be a mom with a PD, she's not diagnosed, though.

A friend suggested this site & I'm glad they did, because in just the small bit of information I've been reading, I think this site will be helpful and encouraging for me.

I currently do not have any contact with my parents, and I feel like currently that is the best situation.

FogDawg

Welcome, mrsbohn002. In my opinion, some personality disorders are so unmistakable that they do not need to be diagnosed for one to be able to tell that a person has them. I am glad that your friend suggested this site to you; it is a great, supportive place with much useful information. I can understand where you are coming from, being no contact myself with my remaining parent. You are doing what is necessary for your well-being and I wish you nothing but the best.

xredshoesx

welcome to the group

i'm a long term nc'er, 26 years and i'll tell you it's been rough but my worse day on my own has still been better than the best day when my mother was a part of my life.  if you feel you're ready to jump in and post, we do have a section of the forum specifically for folks that are NC with their parents. 

hope to see you on the boards soon-

treesgrowslowly

Hi and welcome,

You mentioned your mother is not diagnosed. One of the things you'll notice here is that most PDs in our lives are not diagnosed. Mine did see a psychiatrist for a time (not for PD issues), and then stopped. It is very possible the Dr assessed her as PD, but she was never going to tell us that. So I have to call her undiagnosed. People with NPD don't see themselves as needing to change their PD. By definition a PD is a rigid set of traits they can't or won't change. We are the ones who must manage our lives and make life good.

Lots of us are no contact here with PD parents. Hope this site is helpful.

Trees