I've been the fool

Started by Silentlywaiting, January 10, 2020, 12:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silentlywaiting

I don't understand how I've been fooled all these years. I honestly thought she cared about me. I figured she was a little self centered and knew she could skew the truth to fit her narrative.  I always thought it was perspective.
Now, all the years of people telling me she had said all those horrible things about me make sense. She takes a minor infraction and makes it into something bigger.
From me being a teen experimenting with drugs, which she turned into me being a drug addict and prostitute, to he telling my daughter I lied about the man who is her father. She's continually portrayed me as a bad person. It's like she's projecting her deal onto me.
I've spoken to her twice since the other incident I posted about before, and both times she has acted like I was the one who has done wrong. I
I'm completely lost and so very hurt. I just don't know what to do or how I should proceed. I've literally lost my best friend.

Penny Lane

:bighug:

This is a hard realization.

If it's any comfort, if you are foolish then so are all of us. The FOG is real, and coming out of it is painful.

nanotech

I'm sending hugs.
My sister did this to me. I was brainwashed to believe she loved me and all the time a horrendous character assassination was going on behind my back.
I always knew she could be sarcastic, teasing  and competitive, but I did think she had my back against the world. Nope she didn't.

It's like having the worst kind of kick in the stomach when you find this stuff out.

However, I've come to understand that it's no reflection on me! It's all about them. Personality disorders are no fun for anyone. Those with them generally stay unaware of their behaviour and are quick to defend themselves. They need to put others down in order to raise their own self esteem. Those who bear the brunt of them, especially  the scapegoats, really do suffer.

Getting better from this takes time. You move from grief to anger to acceptance, and now I've started not to care. It's a process but you do get through it. Remember that you are a loving/lovable person. There are friends to be gained out there! Xxxxxxxxx

Free2Bme

SW,
This is so hard.  It's like you (we) have to face and accept something so painful and don't want to believe it or deal with it, however to try and avoid it only results in more pain.   

As PL said, there are other 'fools' here too.  I would rather be guilty of foolishly believing the best of people and taking them at their word, than be guilty of deceit, manipulation, exploitation, and contempt. 

I can learn not to be foolish, disordered people will not learn to love.

athene1399